PDA

View Full Version here: : To Dob or not to Dob is the question!

prova
03-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm taking a quick step back 2 weeks ago before I bought my 8" Skywatcher Newt.

My question is if astrophotograpy isn't part of my viewing adventures then for the same (probably a bit less) money would've a 10" Skywatcher Dob the way to go?

I believe collimation is still a small issue with both but as far as being a little more portable, better viewing? and easier to move around the sky with as the newt eye-piece can end up in really awkward positions then the Dob is maybe what I should and can still (maybe) make a swap for?

Appreciate your thoughts and comments

rmcpb
03-09-2007, 11:43 AM
8 or 10" ar both great apertures and can give a life long astronomical adventure.

If the EQ mount is bugging you a bit you could always make a dob mount for the scope then you have the best of both worlds.

prova
03-09-2007, 11:48 AM
i think that's really it, it's not so much the collimation issue it's the mount that's giving me grief yet i would prefer not to make one, as i hopefully still have the chance to swap it with a new 10" dob, so in saying that would that be a better choice for a total first-timer to astronomy in general ..

erick
03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
You can still do some astrophotography with a dobsonion mounted reflector. Read some of the introductory articles in "Projects & Articles" at the left.

From my reading and understanding, if you are not absolutely set on getting into more serious astrophotography now, yes swapping your 8" on a GEM for a 10" on a dobsonion mount is a good idea.

xelasnave
03-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Great way to get rolling.. I recall saying, I think on the purchase of my second scope that I was not ever going to be interested in astrophotography... well that did not hold.

I have a few bits and pieces now and still have something different in mind..

you will enjoy your scope and after a time you may decide something would fit your life better... but just get out there and soak it up ..thats what its all about.

AND I find I use a 80mm so much for visual viewing it is a real surprise when there is a 12 inch sitting along side of it... its the dark site that makes it happen and getting regulary that opportunity..I have one but weather etc..folk in town similar problem so whilst we wait for a night out we fantisise about the new scope..thats good.. and talk about scopes thats good..but you have a good rig so enjoy it.
alex

prova
03-09-2007, 12:08 PM
correct, i have no passion to get into 'serious astrophotography' at any point, a few pics to play around with sure .. but again not serious.

my main goal is to hunt around and point to stars, planets and (dso's) with relative ease and considering the fact that i can't really afford another $1000 for a goto system ..

so in short and as i've probably already mentioned i'd love an 8-10" that is easy to use for a first-timer yet have enough grunt to last for years..

erick
03-09-2007, 12:26 PM
You'll need more opinions to help you decide. I'm no expert - I've had one telescope (8" dob reflector) and only since March this year. I'm loving it and I keep tweaking it with improvements.

You can do lots of "hunting" with it, but without a "goto" or "pushto" system, I won't say finding things can be done with "relative ease" Depends how good you are at looking at the sky, comparing with maps, then star hopping through your eyepiece. Though I plan for a Argo Navis system in my future, I think I should spend some time searching and hunting for objects until I learn the sky much, much better that I know it now.

ps. collimating an 8" or 10" reflector - same effort, no difference.

Eric

prova
03-09-2007, 01:17 PM
thanks once again erick .. my main dilemma was (while i still have time) is whether io t should change my current scope that of a 10" dob, happy to get a GOTO system down the track but i'd do that with either scope amyway, i really wanted to know which is easier to use and observe the moon, planets, andromeda, etc at this point in time ..

:)

rmcpb
03-09-2007, 01:27 PM
If the 8" GEM mounted scope is not doing it for you and photography is not an issue at present then I would swap for the dob. With the change you will be able to get some collimating tools :)

niko
03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Prova,

if you've got the option and the current mount is a pain then I'd swap for the dob.

Used our 8" on the weekend - glorious dark skies before moonrise and the dob mount is a breeze to use. Can't say I knew the names of everything we saw but we saw heaps and had fun.

Have tried some afocal photography with the dob - it's okay but won't be selling to any astro mags anytime soon. A few good pics of the moon and steadily improving ones of the planets - that'll do for me.

Yep, go for the dob.

niko

prova
03-09-2007, 02:08 PM
thanks all for your input .. think ill head toward the 10" skywatcher dob if they will do the swap

my final question is as far as height goes on the dob, is it in a standing/kneeling/sitting position?

obviously with an eq mount on a tripod you adjust the height to suit the viewer but just unsure with the dob as i've never actually seen a 10" in real life!

erick
03-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Kneeling? Sitting? Standing? All three!

Of course, it depends where you want to look. I recommend that old beat up gas lift office chair. On my 8", that gets me from low elevation (mainly for collimating) up to vertical (at a stretch). I've recently replaced the gas lift with a longer one which makes observing at the zenith much easier from the seated position, but it won't go low enough, if I'm silly enough to want to observe something close to the horizon. A 10" will be a little higher at the Zenith, but much the same height as an 8" at low elevation.

Look for "observing chairs" or "stellar chairs" on this forum for ideas.

Eric

peter_4059
03-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Here's my experience...

I began with a 10" GSO Dob, later bought an EQ6 mount and put the Dob optical tube on the EQ6. I have set it up in a way that I can go back to to Dob base for short sessions and on the GEM whan I have more time. Recently I got an Argo Navis.

I've taken some webcam pics of Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon on the dob mount but it's a lot easier on the tracking mount.

Viewing through the Dob is most comfortable sitting on a stool that's a bit higher than a regular chair - I got one of the 3 legged varieties from a camping store that is a good height for most eyepiece positions.

With the EQ6 the eyepiece can be quite high (with minimum tripod leg extension) and you end up using a small step ladder to get to the eyepiece some times.

Peter

rmcpb
04-09-2007, 10:22 AM
If you don't get a stool/chair you will get a chronic case of "dobber's back" which is a permanent ache and hunch. With the focal length of a 10" dob, if you are of average height, any stool/chair will do in the beginning, I use a folding camp stool with a platform for when the scope is on the equatorial platform and I can get to any eyepiece height easily and confortably.

Cheers