PDA

View Full Version here: : Anyone from the ACT here? Help Collimating.

prova
03-09-2007, 08:02 AM
hey guys, i've put a few posts up regarding the collimation on my new 8" scope but i think it's time for someone to have a look with a proper collimating tool aswell as just giving me a few first-time pointers on how to use it properly etc

any help from ppl in the ACT would be great and at least if anyone has any details on any local astronomy clubs that would be great

cheers

iceman
03-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi Prova

I'd get along to the CAS (Canberra Astronomical Society). They have an active community and some of them are members here on IceInSpace as well.

I'm sure one of them will pipe up soon and let you know when the next observing session or meeting is. You can also look them up using the Clubs & Societies listing (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/?club_listing) on IceInSpace.

I strongly recommend you get along to one of their meetups, take your telescope, and get some practical, hands-on advice from those that have done it a million times in the past.

Once you see how easy it is (and once it's done properly), you'll see:
1) how much better the view is in a collimated scope
2) that collimating is not a scary prospect.

I hope you don't mind, I've edited your thread title for clarity.

prova
03-09-2007, 08:46 AM
no worries, thanks Mike!

still keen to hear from anyone that's in the ACT

:)

bird
03-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi prova, I'm ex-act, live in murrumbateman these days but that's not very far away at all.

I have some collimation tools that might fit your scope if it has a 2" focusser. PM me if you want to bring your scope out and we can have a look at it.

regards, Bird

prova
03-09-2007, 10:22 AM
thanks bird, ill pm you ..