PDA

View Full Version here: : Please Correct Me If I'm Wrong

leon
01-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi Guys.

I am for the first time attempting Auto Guiding :scared: and would kindly ask you if i am on the right track.

I have been offered, by some members to ring them and they will guide me through it, but thought i should have a go on my own first, and then when i bugger it up I could then beg for help...:help:

I think all is in readiness, an will be using a Philips Toucam for the Guide scope for now, once more experienced i probably up grade to something better.

It is mounted in the end of a 80mm W.O. FD Refractor, which will be my guide scope.

The Lappy is in there as well with PHD loaded, and the Shoestring USB thingy is plugged into the USB port.

The Toucan will also be plugged into the lappy, and the correct RJ12 cable supplied from Shoestring Astronomy will be connected between the USB thingy and the G11 mount Auto Guider port.

So far is this right,then i will get the mount going and point it to what i would like to image, and set the guide speed to 0.5 guiding rate, then i will try and focus on a guide star with the guide scope.

Once i have that i will turn on the lappy and, say #@&*what do i do now.

Am I close to getting some action here, I am not interested in imaging yet but just want to play around and see if it all works .

Please feel free to shoot me down in flames and suggest anything that may help.

Thank You.

Leon :thumbsup:

JohnG
01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi Leon

Don't forget if you have the guide cable plugged into the Autoguider Port, change your Gemini to Photo or All Speeds Mode.

Cheers

leon
01-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Yep Will do John, and I know your phone Number :lol: :lol:

ballaratdragons
01-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Leon, I am not familiar with PHD. But with Guidedog, the Guiding camera must be . . . 'MUST BE' turned 90 degrees. Yep, it looks wierd sitting sideways, but unless you do, it wont guide. :thumbsup:

leon
01-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks Ken, see i had it wrong already, and I haven't even turned it on yet :whistle:

seeker372011
01-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Leon

with PHD you dont need to worry too much about exactly orienting your guide camera in a particular way..that's why its such a great program

there is thread where g_day explained very clearly how to make PHD work when I asked the question:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=19509&highlight=PHD+CG5

but the program basically works just fine as advertised.with the minimum of intervention