PDA

View Full Version here: : Collimation on Brand new 8" Newt

prova
31-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi again, I've had a few posts and links sent to me by a few people on the site in regards to my issue with seeing (or lack of) Jupiter.

Everything with my scope is now ready to go but I may have a collimation issue straight out of the box, possibly due to transport so again I'm looking for someone to assist a noob with getting my scope collimated considering the fact I don't have any tools ..

Any help is much appreciated as I'd love to sort this out as I hope to have my first proper viewing this evening and over the weekend!

Thanks again!

ps. If there is anyone in the ACT that may even be able to help that would be great!

DJVege
31-08-2007, 10:48 AM
All I can do is direct you to this article for some reading about the collimation process.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=63,390,0,0,1,0

I've got no idea how to do it without tools. Someone with more knowledge will assist soon, I'm sure.

janoskiss
31-08-2007, 11:09 AM
If you go to the Orion website, and look for user manuals under "support", download the one for the XT8. It's a very similar scope to the one you have, and the Orion manual gives you good easy to understand and fairly comprehensive instructions on how to set up and use the scope. Also, watch the andyshotglass video on collimation.

DJVege
31-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah dude. Andy's article is awesome! Seriously watch it!

prova
31-08-2007, 12:45 PM
thanks guys, gonna go through all 3 sites - andy's/orion/iceinspace and sort it out .. i hope!

cheers

rmcpb
31-08-2007, 02:44 PM
You can make a peep hole tool out of an old 35mm film canister. Just drill a 1/16" hole in the centre of the bottom and then use it in the eyepiece holder to help get everything in line. Not the most brilliant but its better than nothing.

Cheers