PDA

View Full Version here: : Philips Toucam for guiding

leon
30-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi Guys, this is just a quick question for anyone who can help.

If i were to use a Philips Toucam 840 pro for auto guiding, would it have to be the long exposure one, or would the standard one do the job, also would i need to use a IR/UV filter as well.

Thank you in advance.

leon

ballaratdragons
30-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Leon, both versions work fine. I use the Standard Toucam for guiding and don't have any problems finding a guide star.
The modded version will give you more stars to pick from, but either will be fine.

Alternatively, Bintel are selling the Meade DSI for the same price as a standard Toucam, and the DSI has long exposure.

No, you don't have to use an IR/UV filter as a Guiding program uses the centroid to guide on. Which means a star can even be slightly out of focus and will guide perfectly. The program centres on the source of light, not how sharp it is. :thumbsup:

I tried it with an IR/UV filter and the brighter stars slightly faded and I completely lost the fainter stars. The exposure time isn't long enough to catch lots of light, so it is slightly affected.

[1ponders]
30-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Ken's got it right there Leon. Unless you want to do some planetary work then get the DSI for $189 (I'm still trying to talk myself out of one, but they are such a bargain, and I already have a colour one :P ) and K3CCDTools V3 and you will be laughing.

leon
30-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks Ken, I knew i could count on you, the Toucam King.. :lol:, see, should have just rang you from the start.

Leon :thumbsup:

ballaratdragons
30-08-2007, 10:27 PM
:lol:

leon
30-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Ok Paul if i decided to go for the DSI, which certainly is a good price, would i need to use the USB thingy i got from Shoestring astronomy and the RJ12 cable as well, and put that straight into the auto guide port on the G11 and use the software you suggested.

leon :thumbsup:

[1ponders]
30-08-2007, 10:48 PM
I'd suggest, DSI to laptop (using USB cable) to guide program to USB thingy to G11 with whatever cable they recommend. I dont use the USB thingy, I use a Starmate which is RS232 to RS232 and then an additional RJ11 to RJ11 from the Starmate to Losmandy Digital Drive.

h0ughy
30-08-2007, 10:50 PM
yep that s it - Paul applied the electrodes and brainwashed me into buying two of these things (well he didn't but dont tell him that). works a treat. All I have to do now is learn how to use it to polar align?:D

[1ponders]
30-08-2007, 10:51 PM
:lol:

Ahh grasshopper, this is still a deep and meaningful thing you wish for.

leon
31-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Thank You Paul, it is sounding like i might just be able to get this auto guiding happening soon.

Leon

allan gould
31-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Have a look at Guidemaster with a webcam for autoguiding as it also has a polar alignment routine

[1ponders]
31-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Will do Allan. I haven't tried the other programs apart from an initial open and play as K3 does everything I need, but maybe there is an easier way ;)