PDA

View Full Version here: : Argo Navis on a 16" Lightbridge, thoughts?

Stevo69
24-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi everyone, may I just briefly butt in and ask, what may seem like a stupid question?

If I purchase:

1: a 16" Meade Lightbridge
2: an Argo Navis
3: Wildcard Innovation's appropriate mounting package

I'll effectively have a 16" newtonian, which will drive and track in the same manner as a EQ mount?

This could be an alternative to me buying, say, a C11 SCT?

I'm just trying to comprehend the whole Argo Navis/dobsonian setup in my head. I've never have a telescope on a drive before, let alone any sort or GoTo-type system.

hoo roo

Stevo69

RB
24-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Hi Stevo,

The Argo Navis won't drive or track the LightBridge, it gives you directions and you have to push it.
The display will have an up/down arrow and a left/right arrow with a number corresponding to how far you need to push the LightBrigde.
The aim is to get the readout to read zero which indicates you're dead centre on your target, hence why it's referred to as a "push-to system" rather than a goto system.
Don't forget that it's not driving the scope though, the encoders are just giving you a real time readout of the scope's position.

In my opinion the Argo Navis is fantastic !

:thumbsup:

gary
25-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi Stevo,

Gary Kopff here from Wildcard Innovations, manufacturers of the Argo Navis DTC.

Thanks for the post and firstly thanks to Andrew for the follow-up.

Argo Navis on its own does not directly drive stepper or servo motors.

Having said that, it is commonly interfaced to third party motor
controllers such as the ServoCAT to provide GOTO slew and track capability.
You can read more about the ServoCAT here - http://stellarcat.biz

However, many users use Argo Navis in a straight PUSHTO configuration
and its display will guide you to an object so that you can zero-in on it.
You can also point to objects and have it identify them as well as many other
modes of operation I won't go into here.

Rather than a full GOTO system, you can also put the scope on an
equatorial table, which converts it into an equatorial mount and provides
RA tracking. Argo Navis also fully supports PUSHTO operation for Dobs on
equatorial tables.

Feel free to download the User Manual and have a browse.
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/documentation.html

Also don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks again for the post and don't forget when it comes time to selecting a
scope, 16 inches of aperture is over two times more light gathering area than
11 inches. ;)

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place, Mount Kuring-Gai
NSW. 2080. Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

Stevo69
25-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Rocket Boy and Gary, thank you very much for the excellent information. I guess what I'm trying to do is to compare the cost outlay of a C11 (GT, EQ mount), versus a 16" LB with Argro Navis, encoder kit, EQ platform and drive system. Forget the aperture difference. I know there is no comparison there. I'm more looking at the price factor. Is there anyone here who have added all this to a Meade LB? I'd love to hear more stories and opinions on whether someone has already done what I've proposing.

Gary, you mentioned a EQ table on a dobsonian to provide RA tracking. Naturally, this table is adjusted for your latitude (-37 etc...), I assume there is no issues with the primary mirror box "falling" out of the DEC bearing mount at that angle?

I will look more in depth at you site, Gary, and the StellarCat products. I might shoot off an email to you when decision day gets closer (hopefully by the end of the year).

I guess the next natural question is, if I have a dodsonian set up with all these extras, I'm pretty right for CCD imaging then?

Again thanks for your assistance,

hoo roo
Steve

aerobrake
25-08-2007, 01:20 PM
HI STeve,

I'm in the early stages of building a GOTO 18in dob and here are links to some of the sites I've been looking online as a guide.

http://dbpeckham.com/Telescope/CompScope/Index.htm

http://siderealtechnology.com/

I'm using the sidereal technology system for my scope and will eventually have it linked to a Argo Navis. From a cost point of view you the 16in meade is awesome bang for buck, you just need to figure out how much the drive will cost you.

Simplest method is push the scope around using the argo, then next would be putting the scope on an eq table and then last would be to put drives in so the scope tracks and has GOTO. Good thing is you can add as you go.

If you want to do CCD imaging with a dob you are getting into a challengeing area but certainly doable. YOu will need the dob on a eq table as a minimum.

Cheers
Mike

Stevo69
25-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey thanks aerobrake for this. This seems like the logical order to add the aforementioned features.

My gut feeling is that I can potentially end up with a 16" dobsonian with all the features of an 11" SCT, for around the same price, but you need to do a bit of the work yourself (install the options yourself as opposed to buying it ready to go).

And yes, the other advantage it that I can purchase the
"base" telescope sooner rather than later, and add the drive, Argo Navis, EQ table, etc. as funds become available.

I am trying to read as much as possible on the Meade 16" LB, especially in this thread (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=18272), and I was initially put off by some of the comments but some of the more hardened amateurs, I guess most of the critical comments wouldn't worry me too much as a newbie in dobsonians. (This is not a criticism towards anyone actually making the comments reviewing this product. I am happy to take on board any constructive comments).

aerobrake
25-08-2007, 11:40 PM
G'day Steve,

From what I've read the LB seems to have good optics for the price you are paying and people are certainly pleased with the scope.

Mate just remember that it is a dob and thus will require more setup time and you will need to align the optics everytime you take the scope apart so the "fiddle" factor will be much more that an SCT, especially if you are considering CCD imaging but if all that doesnt worry you you will enjoy the setup.

Cheers
Mike

bkm2304
25-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Hi Stevo,

I have a 16" Lightbridge AND an Argo Navis and let me tell you the views are stunning. I don't care if its a factory mirror or it's a bit clunky on the moving side of things - for sheer light bucket ability the 16" is fabulous. I have come up through the ranks since my first 25mm Tasco scope in 1967 via 50mm (1972), 60mm (1974) Tascos, 8" Astro Optics Newtonian EQ kit (1979), 15 x 80mm Quest binos (1981), 12" Bintel Dob (2004) 10" LX200R (2005) and now the Lighbridge (2007) and can tell you that for straight forward viewing I have never been more satisfied in my 40 years of looking through telescopes. It is great. Add to this the Argo Navis and you have a system that was simply unheard of outside observatories and very serious amateurs 25 years back. In 1985 I recall looking through an F8 12" and thinking it was the height of amateur achievement - We have come a long, long way in 22years.

Go, or more correctly, push for it!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::t humbsup::thumbsup:

Richard

gary
27-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi Stevo,

If you email me at sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au, I certainly
can assist in providing you with pricing on the Argo Navis and LB 16
encoder kit components or you can also visit the purchasing page on our
web site. See http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/purchase.html
Use the Region pull-down and select Australia.

There is also a Argo Navis User's Group forum at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/argo_navis_dtc

On an LB 16, that shouldn't be an issue and there are people using these
scopes on platforms.

Feel free to contact us at any time. No obligation to buy, we're here to assist.

Absolutely.

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
20 Kilmory Place, Mount Kuring-Gai
NSW. 2080. Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

Stevo69
28-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Thankyou to you all who offered their thoughts and opinions on the 16" LB and Argo Navis. After spending the last few day taking every bit of advice on board, I've decided on a challenge, and I plan to build a 16" Dobsonian. I'm up for a challenge!

Gary, I will still contact you soon regarding what you can offer in regards to Argo Navis and accompanying encoders. This will be important when it comes time to build the mount.

Again, thanks to everyone, the friendly and helpful advice is what makes IIS so enjoyable to use. I think back 20 years ago when I built my 6" Newtonian, I used a "How-to-build-a-telescope" - type book (green cover with a sillouette of a Newt on an EQ mount on the cover). This is all I had.

gary
29-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi Stevo,

Congratulations!

I know your fellow ATM's on this forum will urge you on.

Thank you.

With regards encoder installation, we recommend ATM's contact us
early in the design phase to avoid accidentally 'painting yourself in a corner'.

Obviously there is considerable resource material and talent out there these days
to tap into. If you don't have a copy of it already, grab yourself Kriege and
Berry's "The Dobsonian Telescope". Many ATMs regard it as the bible of
building large aperture Dobs.

Don't forget as well that companies such as Obsession and SDM can supply
some components if you need them, especially components that may be 'fiddly'
to fabricate yourself otherwise.

Good luck with the project!

Best regards

Gary Kopff

Stevo69
29-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Purchased the book this week! But it was confiscated, wrapped and hidden away for Father's Day. Tell me that's not fair?

gary
30-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Hi Stevo,

There is an upside to that. By that action, this telescope project has
now become a legitimate family-ordained enterprise. ;)

Good luck with the project mate and enjoy the book. It is an excellent read.

Best Regards

Gary