PDA

View Full Version here: : Astrophotography mount for ED80

dugnsuz
25-08-2007, 12:33 AM
hi all,
i'm looking to upgrade from the GS/EQ3 mount I've been using to something a bit more suited to imaging + a few more bells and whistles.
I would love GoTo and an auto guider port but also am aware of stability issues too.
I've cut my search down to (pricewise) celestron CG5-GT mount or a HEQ-5 non-GoTo version.
I intend to initially only use an ED80 on this mount but eventually want to mount a side by side system (small apo refractor or large 300mm lens) so weight isn't a major concern but guiding is!
Question is will any of these mounts cut it for astrophotography???
Cheers
Doug:thumbsup:

seeker372011
25-08-2007, 09:47 AM
well, as long you temper your expectations, the CG5 can most certainly be used for astrophotography

here's one of the best imagers that I know of who uses this mount:

http://www.saratogaskies.com/

(though Jim seems to have acquired a Tak last week, most of his work is with the CG5- and an ED80 or an 8 inch newt)

and here are my own efforts-not quite in the same league:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91784720@N00/
Narayan

Garyh
25-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi Doug, I had the Eq5 mount before which is similar to the CG5 mount and I must admit it should handle the ed80 with a guidescope etc but you will have to tinker with it to get the best from it! Like re-grease the bearings lap the gears etc.
I would go for the Heq5. Being a heavier mount it would handle the load much better and hence would be less of a headache in guiding.
The Heq5 would need similar teaks too I suspect to get it real smooth.
my 2c worth.
cheers Gary

[1ponders]
25-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Are you really sure you need goto Doug? The ED80 has a pretty big field of view for finding things. I rarely use the Argo Navis with the G11 for getting objects centered in the 80, and the GM8 doesn't have goto at all. It means you will need to learn your way around the sky a bit better, but after using an EQ3 you should be pretty good at that anyway :)

If you opted out of goto for the time being then the EQ6 would be in your range. That would open up a whole new world of potential scope/s ( ;) ) for the future. Plus you could always add goto later on.

gbeal
25-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Or a used GM8 perhaps.

Alchemy
25-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Choices everywhere, but if youre serious one day you will want a bigger andbetter mount, heres the theory i worked on.... great mount and ordinary scope takes pretty good pictures and the ed80 is apo, small amount of distortion at edges all in all good value.
But a good scope with a less than adequate mount will leave you frustrated.
Ifyou want to do GOOD astrophotography, and dont we all, then save and buy the best yu can with room for future bigger scopes

dugnsuz
27-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all the comments and advice.
I think after doing a bit more research that the HEQ5 as a minimum is my best option.
Thanks all:thumbsup:
Doug