PDA

View Full Version here: : Sky-Watcher SynScan EQ5

koala
24-08-2007, 07:26 PM
:help:Hello to everyone,
first time on forum, feeling so lost and stupid, new to GOTO system -that's me. I'm owner of new EQ5 mount with Synscan GOTO (SkyWatcher). Newtonian 8"f/4. Mount is facing South, Dec motor is on the same side of the receptacles of the mount, all current latit. and longit.entered , time (+10), and guess what? Motor points telescope to well known stars in totaly wrong directions. Sametames opposite, other times correct direction but points to the ground, the same for Moon or planets. No sense at all.
Is there anyone who can help me, I feel like there is something simple I've missed and obvious to many of you.
Help, Help
:shrug::help:

g__day
24-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Have you entered Lat and Long with N/S and E/W or +/-ve values? Does it mistakenly think it is in the Northern Hemisphere perchance? I had a CG5 where precise GPS co-ordinates would make it think Northern Hemisphere, but select location from International -> Australia -> Sydney and it was spot on - go figure, they didn't check Latitude for Southern hemisphere correctly I presume!

Terry B
24-08-2007, 09:35 PM
The other thing to check is that the time is entered in 24 hr time otherwise it will be 12 hours out.

koala
25-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks a lot for sugestions.
I've been back at shop and even guys with 20 years expierience gave up. The SynScan was / is preset to Northern Hemisph., and no matter what coordinates and time is given it thinks is park on North. Even connecion to GPS didn't fix the problem. It is just my luck to get foulty one. We also did upgrade to version 3.12 but nothing changed, and system is not allowing any manual change. Thumbs up to shop owner, who gave me another controller, which works perfectly! Hurray!
Anyway, e-mail was send to Sky-Watcher supplyer and I hope I will have an answer for everyone alse who will be stack with the same problem in the future:thumbsup:

iceman
25-08-2007, 06:10 PM
:welcome: Koala - great to hear that the shop owner is helping you out.

I hope the next one treats you more kindly!

koala
26-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks for welcoming me in.
I still can't belive that I've got foulty controller, I've lost so many days correcting myself, re-doing things, for nothing.
Gets me upset seeing that majority of supplyers and telescope makers world wide makes everything for Northern Hem. customers. I've heard if you do update for SynScan to V.3.12 it may lock you pernamently to Northern Hem., thing that happened to me - stright from the original box.
Be in touch.
:hi:Koala

Tamtarn
02-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi Koala

Good to hear your problem was sorted out with the hand controller.

David

danielsun
02-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi Koala and welcome,
I am having the exact same problem with my heq5 and just got off the phone to my supplier (whom i must say has been very helpful ) yesterday which suggested to upgrade to 3.12, but after reading that your hand controller was faulty i wont be upgrading, i think i may give them a call again tomorrow.
I also have been triple checking and it was racking my brain.
Mine does it randomly sometimes it's o.k and sometimes it goes opposite.

Thanks for the heads up.
Cheers Daniel.