PDA

View Full Version here: : Change in GSO Dobs - Roller Bearings for AZ?

Tannehill
19-08-2007, 10:30 AM
I notice on the GSO website they now desribe roller bearings for their azimuth motion on the bases. This must be new, since the 12" I bought in March had the little teflon pads. I'm wondering, also, if that's why it was slightly discounted at the time: a new line with roller bearings was coming out and the vendors were eager to clear the old stock.

I'm curious. I've had mixed thoughts on some roller bearing bases....I've seen the rocker bottom "dented" in some models by the pressure of these (too small?) rollers on a (too soft, I would therefore conclude) laminate surface. Resultant motion quality was chattery and wash-board like.

Anyone have a roller bearing GSO dob model in their hands?

Scott

Scaven
19-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi Tannehil,

I just got my 10inch Dob yesterday from Bintel (just finished putting it together 10 minutes ago) and it still had the teflon pads.

Cheers,

Scaven

Geoff45
19-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I bought a 12" dob about 5 years ago (from Bintel, so I think GSO). It had the roller bearings together with the dents. The scope moved in azimuth far too easily, so it moved in the wind and the dents made small movements difficult. I replaced with formica and teflon and the result was much better.
Geoff