PDA

View Full Version here: : Skywatcher SW 135?

BluMoon
13-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi Guy's,
Dont really expect to hear much until the Astrofest "hangover" wears off!!
I'm in the market for a good first time scope (i"ve had my 15x70 skywatcher
binos for 10 months and am comfortable with the next step now!)
I have been looking at the Skywatcher SW135 as it is both portable and would suit me for planets and brighter objects etc.it is on a EQ mount with a RA motor for what I think is a reasoable price..If anyone has any experience or advice on said scope I would very much appreciate it..
Cheers all BM.:screwy:

Starkler
13-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I believe that that scope has a spherical rather than parabolic primary mirror which is a bit of a concern for an f7 scope.
IMO there are better choices available. Personally in that $ ballpark I would recommend an 8 inch dobsonian which will trounce the sw135 in every respect.

BluMoon
14-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for that Geoff.i did have my doubts and you have confirmed them!
I will take your advice an, 8" was initially my first choice so I appreciate the advice.
Guy

Starkler
14-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Glad to be of help :)

erick
14-08-2007, 11:08 PM
BM, I note that Geoff is also suggesting that you don't go immediately to an EQ mount (with or without driven axes), but start with a dobsonian mount. That will give you the most optics for your money and allows you to get used to the transition from binoculars to a reflecting telescope (the world turns upside down!) and you have a spare eye that you don't know what to do with! In due course, after saving some more pennies, then move to buying an appropriate EQ mount since that transition (dob mount to EQ mount) is another significant one. By following that upgrade path you should end up with good optics and capable mount, and follow manageable steps. Buying both at once, you may find you have to compromise on both optics and mount, if budget is limited?

Starkler
15-08-2007, 08:25 AM
I didn't actually say that Erick, but that is what i think.
IMO theres only two reasons to go for an equatorial mount.

1: you want to do astrophotography, in which case you will need a far superior (expensive) mount than the eq2 that comes with the SW135.
2: You want to track targets at high power. Again such a mount/tripod combination will be very jiggly at high power and eq mounted newtonians are not the easiest or intuitive things to use for a beginner.

The dob will give you better and bigger optics, better mechanicals ie metal focuser vs plastic, and the mount will be much more solid and stable.
Pointing is easy and intuitive, and with a small amount of tinkering, dob mounts can be made to work very smoothly which helps when using high power.

I really wish that eq mounts would totally disappear in low end scope packages to be replaced by easier to use alt-az type mounts.

BluMoon
19-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Cheers Guys,
After further research I have purchased an 8" Skywatcher Dob.I am really happy with my decision (thanks to advice on IIS).
I guess over time an EQ mount...maybe a EQ5 and a ring set for the 8" could be an option but one step at a time.I amreally looking forward to getting my new Dob(next week) and getting under the stars!!!!Will kep my binos close by though as I know what I'm doing with them.
Thanks again for your useful advice.
Guy:D