PDA

View Full Version here: : Where can I get a custom dovetail made?

MortonH
07-08-2007, 11:05 PM
I need a custom plate to attach my new Megrez 90 to my Televue mount.

It should be similar to the Orion dovetail bars that Bintel sells, but it would be better if it was completely flat, around 150mm x 50mm x 10mm, with probably six holes tapped in specific places to allow more than one mounting position to vary the balance point.

Can anyone suggest where I might get such an item made?

Regards

Morton

P.S. As you can see, the Megrez 90 finally arrived. Yay!!!

GeoffW1
08-08-2007, 03:42 AM
Hi Morton,

Any jobbing engineer or toolmaker with a vertical mill could do this for you. Quotes will probably vary a lot depending on whether they do actually want your business at the time. There are several reasons why a business may not wish to quote just then.

The cutter that will be used is a standard one for the job, 45 deg or 60 deg.,
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2904
so the quote will be for material, setup, and labour.

Look up General Engineers or Toolmakers in your district. They will all know one another in a given locality, so if one does not want the work just then, you can ask for a suggestion as to who might do. You will need to supply a working drawing.

Cheers

gbeal
08-08-2007, 07:13 AM
I normally get dovetail rails and even saddles done locally. I am sure there will be a machinist within your locality as well.
Mick Pinner is a member here and I am pretty sure he does machining, as he was making counterweights. It helps if the machinist has an inkling of what your requirements are.

rat156
08-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Also try Luke Bellani at Starstuff

www.starstuff.com.au

He's just started out and makes some very nice kit.

Cheers
Stuart

MortonH
09-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Have contacted Luke at Starstuff and he should be able to help.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Morton

GeoffW1
10-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Aha,

Thanks from me too. Did you see his collimation knobs there?

Cheers