PDA

View Full Version here: : Losmandy G-11 on its way

netwolf
06-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi All,

Well an unplanned purchase to be sure, now I wish I had kept my dob. But bargains and friendly, generous and thoughtful sellers are hard to go past. I cant say enough good things about this true gentlemen Stanley. I had been kicking the tyre on this one since the original add was posted and Stanley was kind enough to answer all my questions until i finally confirmed my intent to buy. I even dreamed of the AP 155 EDFS but then the reality is that that is still far out of my reach.

There goes all my tax return.

Its an older version from the Celestron Days, my friend Peter has the exact same one. It has the NGC-Max, looks much like the astromaster I had before so i have some idea how to use it. When I recover from all this years spending and the family birthdays and anniversary i have coming up I might dare to dream about a goto solution.

It should be here on Wednesday, eagerly awaiting it. As luck would have it i have a DM8 plate purchased with the LX90 for piggybacking. So I can get the 8" on there no problems. Perhaps if i am further blessed I might get a small ed retractor later on to start with some short focal length imaging. This might help me ease into the oddities of an eq mount.

Now how does one convince ones wife that the 3rd anniversary is a telescope mount? Any ideas. Help
If your reading this dear i am just kidding.

Regards
Fahim

netwolf
08-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Its here Airroad picked it up on Tuesday and delivered today, a very good service and very affordable. Very well packed by the seller. I could not resit putting it alltogether to see how it looks like. At first I thought man its huge, can I really handle this thing. Have i bitten of more than i can chew. But its just so simple to assemble and having seen my mate put his together I had some idea what i was doing. I grabbed a few snaps of it.

I also put on the losmandy dovetail plate I had and it fits onto the supplied saddle plate. I had got this plate with my LX90 for piggybacking a guide scope, glad now that i got it.

Now first I take it to my mate for a tune up, and possibly a bearing upgrade mod he has advised.

Regards

wavelandscott
08-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Congrats on the new gear!

I hope it brings you hours, days, weeks, months, years of joy!!!

Isn't this hobby great...and by the way, the 15th Wedding anniversary is Takahashi...at least that is what I am telling my wife :D

Clearly 3 years of marriage is worth at least a (telescope) mount IMHO...

Apoman
09-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Fahim,

Congratulations on your G11 purchase, all you need now is some minor tweaks tuneup/regrease as we discussed earlier.

Enjoy mate..

RB
09-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Congrats Fahim, great purchase and I look forward to your images.

I assume now you'll be bringing it with you to Kulnura?

gbeal
09-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Congrats Fahim, you will love the G11, they really are a very under-rated mount.

Kal
09-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Nice purchase Fahim! Look forward to seeing some of your astrophotos you take with it down the track!

Alchemy
09-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Great Mount ive got one and it has done everything i expected.tracking has been stated to be slightly errattic from some reports, and ive found without guiding i cant get great images, but using guidog and shoestrings USB adapter and a modified webcam, EASYI found the polar finder to be easy and accurate, however needed just a little tape around to hold it firmer, just rotate until no central deviation occurs.Mine currently holds a 12inch reflector which to date i have only done planetary with but it handles it with no dramas.You may find though you will need to check your polar alignment regularly or modify the bolts that tighten it as it does seem to drift after a few sessionsHaving said that. Im happy with mine !!!!!!!

netwolf
09-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks all, for the comments and advise. Peter aka Apoman is going teach me how to pull it apart and do a regrease etc. He has the exact same mount the older CG-11 bought around the same time as my mount was originally purchased. Thats why I had no fear in buying this mount it came highly recommended. Also Stanley has kindly put up with all my questions and phone calls for help and advise. As I said before I am blessed to have come across such generous and kind people.

I recently read a review by a fellow aussie (who i am trying to track down) Tony Barret on CN comparing LXD750 and the G-11. His review opened my eyes to the benifit of buying from a manufacturer who is willing to sell you spare parts, rather than ask you to ship back your mount every time there is an issue.

I don't have the polar scope but I intend to learn the drift method anyway. Not sure I will get one.

Regards
Fahim