PDA

View Full Version here: : Buying Telescopes in Hong Kong??

davewaldo
01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a friend going to Hong Kong soon and I thought they might be able to bring me back some astronomy gear...

Has anyone bought gear in HK? Is it much cheaper?

I was thinking something like an ED80....

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dave.

Hagar
01-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi Dave, HK is not what it use to be. Lots dearer than 10 years back. You will probably struggle to get an ED80 much cheaper than the Skywatcher ED 80 at Bintel for $599... I have one and love it.... Bang for your buck is an understatement.

Cheers
Doug

netwolf
01-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Dave,

Here are two I know of William is a great guy, I have not bought from him but have conversed about his ATM work on his equatorial mount. He is also a member here on these forums. And often visits down under on observing road trips. He is I believe the main Vixen dealer in HK.

http://www.geocities.com/tatsco/index.htm

Second is Grand Eye, again came across this while searching for EQ6 mounts.
Best to email for pricing, again I have not purchased anything. But some prices are hard to beat even with shipping while others are comparable.
http://www.grandeye.com.hk/

Regards
Fahim

aerobrake
03-08-2007, 03:42 AM
HI,

I live in Hk so if you need me to chase anything up PM me.

I bought most of my stuff here and shipped to Oz as it was much cheaper but it still pays to check. Shopping here is not what it used to be!!

I've dealt with both the gents above that Fahim mentioned and both are ok.

Cheers
Mike

wavelandscott
03-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Don't forget to check your gear out before you bring it back to make sure it is free of defects and works properly as it may not be under warranty here locally...

That is, it might need to go back to the HK retailer if any service/support is needed (different manufacturerers have different policies)...just another consideration when doing the price comparison.

aerobrake
03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Forget about any serrviceing in Hong Kong, if anything goes wrong it will need to come to HK and then it will be sent to the manufacturer. Nothing gets serviced here!!

Cheers
Mike

davewaldo
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Thankyou everyone.

It turns out that the Meade 80 APO won't be available from grandeye until september which rules that one out. And he does not stock the Synta brand's 80ED...

So I'm not sure what else I could get which is not too big.

I'm starting to think it may not be worth the hassles....

Thankyou everyone for your sugestions and feedback. :)