PDA

View Full Version here: : Takahashi FS60C or WO 66SD APO

[1ponders]
31-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm looking for opinions :scared: and thoughts on these two refractors.

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=2179&kw=60C&st=2

http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=324

Anyone with experience with either of these two scopes as a widefield imaging scope?

mch62
01-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Hi Paul no experience with those but have you also considered a Borg Astrograph
http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/astrogr/index.htm

[1ponders]
01-08-2007, 07:35 AM
No I hadn't Mark. Thanks for the link. I'll have a good read.

montewilson
01-08-2007, 07:37 AM
I have an FS-60c. I haven't used it for imaging yet. It is my guide scope and it works with my STV. The stars are just as sharp as they are with the FSQ when I look at them on the STV screen. I have looked through it a few times at the Southern Milky Way between shots and wondered why I didn't have more time to spend space walking with it and (in that case) a 32mm Plossl. The contrast was something else, even better I think (or more apparent) than with the FSQ. The Coal Sack was a dark pool with streams of dark nebulousity coming into it from various directions and with glittering points therein. Enough poetry....

It is a top scope. I think you would have to consider the flattener for taking images and that will push the price up but it's peformance would be comparable to a top shelf 300mm camera lens and you still have a white hot spotting/travel scope to use visually.

It breaks down to a very short tube (270mm) to which you then screw on the other pieces. They are included too for visual straight through use. You will need a diagonal if you want it upright. You will have to discuss carefully with the vendor exactly what you want to connect to it as there are many adaptors with Tak and not all are included. For example it comes with 1.25" parts. For imaging you will need to ask about 2" stuff.

When you come to that sort of money for the scope you will have to see what you can get from the others. At that price there will heaps of options. But I don't see how you would be unhappy with the FS-60c.

RB
01-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Doh !
I knew I shouldn't have looked in this thread Paul.
Stop putting ideas into my head.
The FS-60C would be awesome although I haven't used either scope you've listed, but at $850 AU it's a bargain atm.

BTW have you considered Supersizing to an Sky 90 ? :D

:scared3:

JohnG
01-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi Paul

Whilst I can't say anything about the Tak FS-60, having not used one, I would expect the the build quality and renowned Tak sharpness would be there.

I can say a little about the WO 66SD, I have a blue one I use as the guidescope on my field setup, The build quality is up there with the best of them, the focusser is smooth using both the coarse and fine adjustments, the limitied amout of time I have used the scope, I found the optics were nice an sharp. I also have the FLAT-2 as well, I got it mainly to act as a flattener for my 80mm SW ED80 so it is duel purpose, as well, I got the SCT to 2" adapter as well, because most of my stuff is 2". One thing I did find, using a 2" diagonal, I could not get focus, 1 1/4", no problem, I havn't had time to muck around trying to find out the correct configuration with the 2" at this stage. It comes in a fitted aluminium case and has a tripod adapter on the bottom, I removed it and plugged the hole with a couple of rubber stoppers as it got in the way of the guide rings, my opinion is that it is a very well put together package, and excellent value for money, saying that, being a Tak man, the FS-60 has an awsome reputation which is well deserved.

I will be able to say more after the BSG as I am taking my field setup there and it should get a good workout there.

Cheers

[1ponders]
01-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks John, just the info I'm looking for.

I'm trying not to. :doh:

DeanoNZL
01-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Paul,
Not keen to show any of my pic's yet.
Here is a link to the William-Optics gallery for the 66SD.
http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_gal/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_44
It is listed incorrectly as a semi-apo.
You people have a great time at the upcoming event!;)
Clear Skies

[1ponders]
01-08-2007, 04:47 PM
We will Adrian :D Thanks.

Are you heading up to JD's place for the astrophotographyfest? I'm going to try to get over there next year. I made the first one near Taupo but haven't been back since.:(

[1ponders]
01-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I've just checked out the WO images Adrian. Very nice and very tempting. Its a shame they compress them so much though. It is hard to just the quality, but the CA doesn't seem too bad. The bonus for me is that I already have the WO FR so I wouldn't need the full kit.

DeanoNZL
01-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Unfortunately not.
Having just spent a glorious 4 days in the Blue Mountains, there are bills to pay.
Supreme dark site though!
CS

stellarquest
02-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I own the WO66 and am over the moon with it's build quality, contrasty images, light weight, 10:1 focuser, balance, orange colour, obvious quality coatings, alum case, not to mention great range of accessories, ability to mount on a lighter weight tripod enabling me to carry the whole set up in one hand and my eyepiece case in the other (one trip), easy mounting, and beautiful design. I like it! It is my most used telescope (also have WO80EDII and 12"LB). Mind you, would love a Tak too!!!!!!

[1ponders]
02-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks SQ. I'd really like a Tak too!! :lol: and your are right about the ease of accessorising. That is one of the things that is giving me second thoughts about a Tak.

stellarquest
03-08-2007, 06:02 AM
Me again. Just having a look at the accessiries from the link you posted, and a few other notions came to me. The Tak is a Flourite, and should be superior to the WO. You don't have much local support for Tak here, but WO has saturated the market so if you need anything it is on you;re doorstep. The link has an accessory kit for %100 that looks to be great value. Perhaps buying that with the scope will help even things out in the cost field. The Tak is something elite. It has that certain something that could be a purchasing factor. It looks great, at least as good as a WO in it's own way. The finder scope mount, while expensive, oozes quality. The Tak is a 60, the WO is a 66. From an absolute personal standpoint, and because I already own a WO 80 EDII, I would probably choose the Tak. It is different, and most importantly, it is a Flourite with a triplet reducer. Sorry, just some ramblings and stating of the obvious.

[1ponders]
03-08-2007, 08:45 AM
The $100 kit looks good except I'll probably onl look through it to line it up. These scope would be for imaging use. I agree that there would be a certain "status" price built in as well. The reducer is definately on the list, but it is half the price of the scope itself. It isn't an essential at this time though.

I'm hoping to have a good look and image through a 66 out at Duckadang next week. Maybe there will be a Tak or two out there as well. ;)

montewilson
03-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Its good to know that somone who carefully thinks about it also recommends the Tak. I didn't think for a moment I bought the wrong scope but to be honest I just bought it because it is a Tak and once bitten by the Tak bug you can't shake it.

The rich field view is amazing at 11x with a 32mm eyepiece. I have an adaptor to use my FSQ 2" diagonal with it. This means I can use the 31mm type V Hand Grenade Nagler with a 60mm scope - pretty cool. The eyepiece almost weighs as much as the scope!

Having said that, WO does represent good value I guess it is compromise that only you can decide on. I haven't really given any WO scope a decent test but their reputation is good and they have loyal owners. They made quality refractors available at a reasonable price. Before that there was not much good stuf below Tak and Astro Physics. This is great because WO is a viable entry point for imagers. With a 60mm apo, GM8/EQ5 and DSLR you have enough to take magazine quality pictures. Ten years ago you needed to spend heaps more.

If you can't justify the TAK get the WO learn with it and use it to its limit then sell it and move up. At that time you might consider going to the Sky 90 too.

BTW if you trawl the Net (no pun intended :rofl:) you should be able to find some good images taken with the WO to get fair impression of its performance.

RB
03-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Well said Monte, great advice !

Wow, now that would be awesome !!!

:lol:
We're baiting you Paul......:whistle:

DeanoNZL
03-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Tee Hee Hee

JohnH
03-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Another happy WO66SD owner here - triple purpose for mine - guidescope for the VC200L/Sphinx or widefield imager with the Canon 20D attached. Also it is my travel scope...excellent build quality and good optics, nice to get the LMC in the fov of a 30mm 2" ep...

Points I have noted are - it suffers SA even with the smaller sensor in the 20D I have to crop about 25% - you need the flattner to cure this - and there is some color fringing on the brightest stars too - though it is not enough to concern me. You will most likely need an extension tube also (and/or the photo adapter) as without these you will not have enough back focus. I have gone for all threaded extensions to eliminate flexure in the imaging train (guidescope).

http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_gal/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_44&products_id=427

montewilson
03-08-2007, 05:22 PM
The adaptor works but the eyepiece sits too high in the barrel when focused so I am getting a custom extender made. When that's done I will post some pictures. Although I have looked through this configuration a few times, until it is done properly I am not using it much. I worry the eyepiece might fall out and I am not sure if it is straight in the barrel anyway.

[1ponders]
03-08-2007, 10:16 PM
I already have the 0.8 flattener reducer that I've been hoping to try on the Orion ED80, so that is taken care of. I wonder if it would work in the Tak as well. :confuse3: ;)

I already have a number of adapters and extensions as I have the WO 10:1 focuser on the Orion and it doesn't quite come to focus fully racked out. With a Meade 6.3 reducer just comes to focus fully racked in. (not a good reducer to use with it though)

Nice image John. Is the red around some of the brighter stars the colour fringing you are talking about? Strange, my experience has been only blue fringing, not red.

JohnH
03-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks, and no I think that was just me overprocessing and causing the halos...like I said I do not find it noticeable/unacceptable there is the triplet version for those who do...you are going to love either of these scopes...

[1ponders]
03-08-2007, 11:42 PM
I'd love both of these scope John, I know. But I can only afford one of them. And at this time it isn't the one I think I'd really really love :sad:

;)

I think I'll go to Duckadang, ruminate a bit, try and get a look see or even an image see through either of these scopes (Definately not bigger ones :scared: ) and see how the finances are when I get back. I just hope that none of the Vendors there have both the scopes or I may not be game to go home :lol:

[1ponders]
19-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Well I should have bought before I went away. Who would have thought the Aus $ would have taken a nose dive the way it has done in the past week. Sheesh $0.86 US to $0.75 in a week. Fortunately it looks like it might be on the way back up again :rolleyes:

But in the mean time I've come across this little pearler, the Equinox 66 (http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-066). Anyone have any experience with this scope as an imaging scope. I've emailed Steve, but I thought I might ask here anyway to keep the thread alive, interesting ( :P ) and useful to later viewers searching for similar info.