PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ Platform

Shaun
31-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi,

Is there anyone in Australia that sells these?

iceman
31-07-2007, 05:56 AM
No, I don't think so (anymore).

Bintel used to sell the Johnsonian platforms, but I don't think they do anymore.

Matthew Lovell from Telescopes-Astronomy in South Australia has been talking about manufacturing some EQ platforms for sale in Australia, but I'm not sure if it has got any legs yet. I know Fahim (netwolf) has done a lot of research into it and had discussions with Matthew.

I used to own an EQ platform, and imported it directly from www.roundtableplatforms.com . Brian is a great guy to deal with and a number of other aussies have also bought from him.

rmcpb
31-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Shaun,

Mike's old platform is still doing a stirling job and is simply brilliant. Couldn't recommend it too highly so its worth looking up.

Cheers

Shaun
31-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for that i will check it out, i know there are lots of plans for them on the net but i would rather have a ready made one.

Shaun

Shaun
31-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Some one needs to invest in making these localy i am sure there would be a market for them.

erick
31-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Come on mill, there's a market here........ :)

rmcpb
31-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Trouble is that they are nearly all individuals as they have to be configured for a specific latitude and cannot be mass produced, hence the price. However, compared to a GEM (HEQ5 or EQ6) they are cheap and give VERY SIMPLE tracking to a dob or tripod mounted camera for wide field work. You can tell I like mine :)

netwolf
01-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Rob perhaps we can gain access to the Johnsonian design now that they have closed. There design was unique in it permitted latitude adjustment.

Shaun, your very closely following my old post pattern. I went through the same alt/az motor, equatorial platforms, eq6.. finally I gave in to the Meade Goto's.

Have you considered Mel Bartel's Servo system or Mel and Dan Gray's Servo system.
http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/BBAstroDesigns.html
http://www.siderealtechnology.com/
Dan Gray's system Sidrealtech works well with Argo Navis as its brains.

Regards.
Fahim

Shaun
02-08-2007, 12:14 AM
When you look at freight and the time it takes to put it together and all it does is drive the system you still need to add brains, it would be cheaper to get second hand goto mount.

I am not sure exactly what size mount for an 8kg scope, i am thinking atleast an eq5 or bigger.

mill
02-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Erick i am still trying to perfect the platform.:)
Tracking has to be good before selling them.

peterbat
19-11-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm also looking around for an equatorial platform, for my Lightbridge 16. How are you going in your search Shaun?

The kit by TL Systems, at http://home.netcom.com/~tlsystem/cablet4.htm looks like a good compromise between buying a completed platform and having to do all of the design work yourself. The kit includes motor and controller (two options - completed or put it together yourself), but they are booked out until after Christmas :(
They have a single-axis and a dual-axis version, which looks like it might cover the photography that I'd like to do...

Does anyone here have experience with this platform?
Thanks, Peter

iceman
19-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Have you tried www.roundtableplatforms.com ?

I got my one (for a 10" dob) from Brian, he does a great job. Rob McPaul-browne is now the proud owner of it, and he loves it!

peterbat
19-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I've seen the posts on the round table platforms, and I had previously seen their website. They sound like a good option, although I would like to do the woodwork myself. It's the electronics I'm not sure about :)

netwolf
19-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Peter, have a look at my recent post in the other thread on motor drives for the 16" dob.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=26010

There is lot of infromation on the yahoo groups for eq platforms, that will help you make the electronics and guide you on the design parameters. There is a spreadsheet that will help with the calculations of various angles and radius's for the sectors.

Regards
Fahim

peterbat
20-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks Fahim.
Peter