PDA

View Full Version here: : imaging setup arrived!

monoxide
25-07-2007, 11:15 PM
well i was originally going to get something really basic just to get started,
i figured a ldx75 would do the trick but apparently bintel dont sell them anymore so i ended up biting the bullet and ordering a HEQ5 Pro and the meade 6" f5 newt plus all the bits and pieces to make it happen.

i can see lots of fun/frustrating times ahead although i think the mount should do very well, a lot better than my bank balance anyway. :whistle:

iceman
26-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Great stuff TJ, an imaging setup and a nice 12" dob + AN setup.

Best of both worlds, congrats!

monoxide
26-07-2007, 09:12 AM
thanks Mike,
lots of buttons and levers to play with next week!
kinda reminds me of the movie 'the jackal'

Ric
26-07-2007, 10:40 PM
A very nice setup Tj, congrats mate.

If you get a chance to post an image, I'd love to see it

Cheers

monoxide
31-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi guys,
everything arrived today so ive just had some fun putting it all together, then i get ready to plug it in and make sure the mount works as it should but one of the cables that connects to the battery was missing :doh:so there will be no springing into life for it today unfortunately.

on another note, the meade 6" f/5 ota is very nice indeed from first inspections.
The only real let down is the R&P focuser, but even that is of decent quality when compared to a skywatcher type.
i actually bought a couple more shower caps to use as dust covers when i store it but the dust cap on this ota is the best ive seen, very snug fit and its actually metal. overall very solid construction and still pretty light.
i'm still more interested in what its like to look through rather than at.

now to wait for some clear skies :)

davewaldo
31-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a great little setup. I will be interested to see how you go!

I have been eyeing that little meade for entry into imaging myself so I will be keen to see how you go with it.

I'd love to see some pics of the setup. ;)

Ric
31-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Congrats Tj, hope that battery cable arrives soon.

Cheers

monoxide
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
i found the cable i needed in my box of argo navis bits (this thing gets better every day lol)
plugged it all in and checked it out, puts a smile on your face when you press buttons and see the scope slew about.
hopefully the sky stays clear tonight!

anyway, heres a happy snap

h0ughy
01-08-2007, 01:11 PM
looks a good setup, do you really need the two weights for that meade scope?

monoxide
01-08-2007, 02:30 PM
not if i was using it visually but once the dslr 'assumes the position' it tips the scales, with a pano in the focuser its fine with 1 weight right at the end of the shaft but that doesnt leave enough play for the dslr.
as you see it in the picture above though its balanced.

Ric
01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Very nice Tj, hope the clouds are kind tonight.

Cheers

monoxide
01-08-2007, 08:03 PM
i only just gave up on it for tonight, my recticle ep didnt come to focus and i really didnt want to chance the rain.

but i did a rough align and had a quick slew around and so far im very impressed with the setup.
the mount tracks very quietly and is very smooth, keeping my eye glued to the ep i didnt notice any vibration or anything out of the ordinary and the ota looks pretty impressive so far. the combo seems very solid.

not sure what i can do about the recticle though.. i either get stars at focus and cant see the crosshairs or vice versa, i think i need a shorter extension.

coming from dobs the gem seems pretty un-intuitive to work out, slewing the opposite way to where i really wanted to go lol.

either way i cant wait for some consistently clear nights so i can get it all sorted out and wack the dslr on there :)