PDA

View Full Version here: : Bintel skyview alt-az mount questions

casstony
11-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Can anyone tell me if this mount will operate smoothly with an ed100 refractor?
Also what is the interface between the mount and tripod head - is it the same as an EQ5 mount? Are the legs captive in the mount head or is the head slotted such that the legs can fall out? Thanks.

wavelandscott
11-07-2007, 12:53 PM
I have one and use it with a Skywatcher ED80.

I have not had heaps of refractor experience (the ED80 is my first foray above the Department store ones) but the mount seems plenty sturdy and smooth for my use which is 100% visual. Regularly the ED80 has Binoviewers attached and that does not seem to cause any stress or difficulty at all.

I actually bought the one Bintel had on display (I think it was their first one in store), took it home and have been using it ever since. I have not looked to see how the legs are attached to the head as I keep it assembled and up most of the time in my garage for "quick" viewing when I get the chance.

It is going to be a few days before I'll get a chance to check on how the legs are attached to the head so if you need a quick response just give a call to the store...otherwise this weekend I can check.

I had been considering a Vixen Porta-mount when I bought this one.

It works nicely for what I use it for and I thought/think it is good value for what it is.

At this point there is not an option to motorize it that I am aware of but I suspect that over time there might be that options too.

Good Luck!

casstony
11-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your reply Scott. I'm interested in the type of head on the tripod as I'm wondering how it would mix and match with other gear I have. If you can have a quick look on the weekend that would be great. Talking on the phone to a real live person at a shop is much too scary for an astronomer like me :)

wavelandscott
14-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I did take some pictures and I'll see if I can get them uploaded yet this evening...Not sure if they will help you or not but it is a nice mount to look at anyway!

acropolite
15-07-2007, 12:04 PM
The Vixen Porta mount has a dovetail mount identical to that on the EQ5/6 so any dovetail mounted OTA will fit. If interchangeability is high on the list the porta mount would probably be better suited. My only criticism of the porta mount is the flimsy control stalks, these can however be replaced with the flexible items from the Az series ALT/AZ mounts.

wavelandscott
15-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Not sure if these are what you are looking for or not...

Hope they help...and apologies in advance for my poor camera skills.

casstony
15-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the photos Scott. I see the legs are captive which is good. It looks as if the tripod head won't receive an EQ5 mount unfortunately - an oversight on both this and the porta mount IMHO, as it reduces flexibility. Much better to have a standard tripod head that suits a variety of mounts.

Phil, the porta mount has the bonus of the vixen dovetail saddle, but the tripod looks much sturdier on this GSO mount. It's strange that GSO didn't include a vixen style saddle on their mount.

wavelandscott
15-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I can't add much else due to my own "mount inexperience" (I do like those Dobs)...so I don't even know an EQ5 mount from a Vixen saddle style (whatever either of those things are)...

As I've said earlier, this mount works well for the purpose that I use it for...quick set up for a Skywatcher ED80...

Sometimes with binoviewer sometimes without...

I've found it to be sturdy and easy to use...

Good Luck!

acropolite
15-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I agree it does look sturdier, the porta mount has no problem with the weight of the ED80, I certainly haven't noticed any significant flex. I know Geoff (starkler) has a small newt mounted on his, but whether it's sturdy enough for the ED100 I'm not sure. Looking at the GSO item it wouldn't be that difficult to add a saddle particularly as the GSO mount is cheaper.

casstony
31-07-2007, 01:48 PM
6" refractor on Bintel Skyview :screwy: http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.telescopes.com.tw/products_info/07secondhand.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHttp://www.telescopes.com.tw%26hl%3Den%26r lz%3D1B2GGFB_enAU230AU230