PDA

View Full Version here: : LX90GPS and wedge?

Vortex
03-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Silly questions but when you purchase an LX90GPS new do you also need to buy a wedge to use it in polar alignment?

Looking at the meade site it mentions the scope and astro-photography but nothing about polar alignment or wedges and I can't find any wedges on the site either.

netwolf
03-07-2007, 11:13 PM
You need the wedge if you want to do long exposure imaging. However you dont need it to begin with. You can do solar system objects without it. You can also do lots of short 15sec exposures and get good results on DSO's. And you can build your own wedge if you have the tools and will to do it. If you get it 2nd hand you might even get the wedge bundled for a lot less.

Regards

Vortex
04-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Whats the cost of one new? And i'm surprised the meade site desn't mention it anywhere or list it as an accessory.

lineout
04-07-2007, 12:57 PM
The Meade site doesn't mention quite a bit.

I have an LX90 as well and have been investigating getting a wedge for long exposure imaging. There are two types. The standard wedge which comes with the LX90 adaptor plate, or the Ultrawedge which has the adaptor plate as an extra.

The standard wedge is cheaper but from what I've heard not stable in windy situations. The Ultrawedge is better built and more sturdy but costs a lot more (approx $1000). You could buy it online from the US for $400 USD.

I'm getting the Ultrawedge simply because I want stability for those long inaging sessions.

Cheers.