PDA

View Full Version here: : Skyshed Pod is here!

seeker372011
02-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Matthew Lovell-Telescopes and Astronomy-is importing the skyshed pod!

http://www.skyshedpod.com/

the Australian prices he quoted me are very attractive too

now all I have to do is work on the Financial Controller

who will be the first to get one of these?
Narayan

acropolite
02-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Well come on, don't beat around the bush, what's the damage....:confuse3:

h0ughy
02-07-2007, 10:49 PM
yep whats the price?

ballaratdragons
02-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Cool,
I have checked his site and couldn't find any reference yet.

All he has to do now is clean up his website. Very messy and hard to use!

Omaroo
02-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I agree Ken - that's a shocking website. Very poor indeed.

Given the pricing in US dollars IN America - I think that it's going to have to be priced along the lines of what we already have access to over here - and it's not as functional or as permanent by the looks of it.

The mid-range model is US$2 grand - over there. Translate that to AU$, ship it (huge volume) and put a profit margin on for the distributor and you've got a Lego block probably approaching the same price as a real dome observatory.

Ah.... the tyranny of distance.:sadeyes:

Maybe the manufacturer will give the distributor a great price and we will be able to purchase these at reasonable cost...

ballaratdragons
03-07-2007, 12:26 AM
I'd rather have one of these, but no-one imports them. Prices are good.
Freight would be a killer to privately import one though.

http://www.explora-dome.com/

Ric
03-07-2007, 12:40 AM
I think that my biggest concerns with either of them is the security of them, I may be wrong but from the images they look like they would be pretty easy to get access to by the wrong sort of person.
The other concern would be for our rural folk I dont think tha they would stand up very well in a bushfire, they look like they would warp or melt from the radiant heat alone.

Cheers

ballaratdragons
03-07-2007, 12:46 AM
True concerns Ric. Right on both counts. But fibreglass is very flammable too.

I just prefer the weather protection of the slot in the ExploraDome rather than the large opening in the SkyPod. The embossed stars turn me off too. Makes it look like a cheap toy. But that's just me, they'll probably sell thousands of them.

I don't get why anyone would want a 'Glow-in-the-dark' model. The whole idea is to have less light, not make your own :screwy:

Ric
03-07-2007, 12:51 AM
I must admit Ken the "glow in the dark" option had me a bit confused as well.

Cheers

jase
03-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Researched these a long time ago back when Wayne Parker (founder) was making the SkySheds. I quickly lost interest due to the lack of automation i.e no shutter and dome rotation options available. Of course, this was my goal (to have an autonomous observatory) so it was a key factor. I ended up heading down the Sirius observatory path and have never looked back.

seeker372011
03-07-2007, 01:09 PM
price is just under 3 grand for the basic-non glow-pod with 3 bays-as quoted to me

h0ughy
03-07-2007, 02:02 PM
thats delivered? that sounds good I would spend 2-3 building my own?

seeker372011
03-07-2007, 07:11 PM
yes in Australian $ with delivery- $2990 to be exact. Its under $2500 if you dont want the additional bays

worth emailing Mathew if you are interested

netwolf
03-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Thats a very good price considering the price on there website for this is almost 2000usd for that version.

Regards

allan gould
05-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Yes that was the price quoted to me as well. I'm just waiting to see what the transport costs to BrisVegas would be before commiting myself by paying a deposit.

nightsky
05-07-2007, 04:18 PM
G'Day,
I contacted Matthew regarding the POD and here is the price list he sent.If there was enough people interested,it could work out cheap for shipping if they were sent to the couriers Sydney dept then it would be only a matter of driving down and picking them up,thats for the Central Coast and Newcastle area.I have already built my Observatory but I'll be moving house soon and I don't like the idea of pulling it down then building it again,so I would be very interested in buying one.So can we get a feed back on how many people who would be interested in buying one?
Cheers
Arthur
SkyShed POD 1 Dome, 5 Wall Panels, 1 Door Panel $2,350.00
Glow POD Neutron Blue or ION Green $2,640.00
Ultra Glow POD Glows twice as bright $2,860.00
POD XL3 1 Dome, 2 Wall Panels, 1 Door Panel, 3 Bay $2,990.00
XL3 Glow $3,360.00
XL3 Ultra Glow $3,678.00
POD XL5 1 Dome, 5 Bays, 1 Door Panel $3,462.00
XL5 Glow $3,876.00
XL5 Ultra Glow
EXTRAS
POD Bay 1 Bay replaces 1 Wall Panel $473.00
Glow Bay $500.00
Ultra Glow Bay $573.00
POD Wall Panel $284.00
Glow Wall Panel $327.00
Ultra Glow Wall Panel $382.00
Bay Pull Out Shelf $91.00
Also check out the Video POD Assembly Video Online Version
http://www.skyshedpod.com/

ballaratdragons
05-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Is fairly comparable to the 8' Exploradome complete kit at US$1850 before $ conversion.

Frieght would kill the Exploradome though. Pity. Closest distributer to Oz is Phillipines or Hong Kong.

This is the complete Exploradome kit:

nightsky
05-07-2007, 04:42 PM
G'Day
That looks a little beauty :) have you checked with the distributer for a price on shipping?
Cheers
Arthur

ballaratdragons
05-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Nope, coz I can't afford to buy an observatory. So I had no need to investigate freight.

They also sell an automated rotation kit:
Use your own motor: Automation Track, Gear & Hardware Kit - $210
or their motor: Automation Track, Gear, Motor 90# Torque & Hardware Kit - $649

nightsky
05-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Fair nuf

Ric
05-07-2007, 06:00 PM
They look like very reasonable prices for a small suburban observatory and would do the job very well.
But the security aspect still troubles me.

Cheers

ballaratdragons
05-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Strikers situation shows that even a fully lockable roll-of-roof Observatory that looks just like a bungalow or shed is a target too. But yep, a Dome does stand out saying 'I'm full of goodies, come take my contents"

allan gould
10-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Anyone in Brisvegas thinking of getting one of these. Perhaps we could hire a small van and go down together, sharing driving as well as costs?
Contact me here or PM or phone 0407050974

nightsky
10-07-2007, 01:30 PM
G'Day Allan,
I asked the same question on this thread for anyone in the Newcastle,Central Coast area and even Sydney,but have had no response yet.They would be shipped by container therefore if we had enough people who would want one we might be able to fill a container and save a lot on the cost of shipping,
then just drive down and pick them up at the couriers depot in Sydney.
Cheers
Arthur

allan gould
10-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Well even if they were shipped to Sydney, then I would be in it and travel down with a ute and pick it up so count me in for one
Allan

allan gould
10-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I have been contacting several shipping people in relation to getting my SkyPod (XL3) from Adelaide to Brisbane. Costs vary from $1500-2000. This makes it problematic for me. But I had a talk to Matthew of http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au/ to talk over the situation. He is aware of the problem and is considering taking a truck from Adelaide to Brisbane stopping at all ports and delivering the observatories himself. For me at the end of the line it would be $700-750 which is OK by me. To make up the load he figures he would need orders of 8-10 units on the truck. He has 5 firm orders and with mine, now 6. So he only has a few to go before all is wrapped up. My suggestion is if you want one then contact hime with firm deal and he can then start the ball rolling. I must say that his entrepreneuring spirit and customer service are exceeding many bounds.

nightsky
10-07-2007, 09:27 PM
G'Day Allan,
I was thinking of him to place the order and to have them dropped of in Sydney,but that may run into to many snags, I'll send him a email and ask the cost of shipping to the Central Coast.
Cheers
Arthur

avandonk
12-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I have ordered an XL3. Not many to go!

Bert

ballaratdragons
12-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Although I said previously that the Traditional 'Slot' opening style Observatory has benefits such as keeping Dew off your equipment, and helps reduce wind and light pollution, Bert mentioned on the phone to me some advantages to the Skyshed Pod that I hadn't considered.

1. The larger opening would reduce cool-down time, speeding up the equalibrium of outside ambient temp and equipment temp,

2. Portability - The Skyshed Pod can be taken to Astro Events or Club nights, deserted observing sites, Camping trips or anywhere you feel like taking it, and put together again in minutes!

My previous preference was also based on the 'Traditional Look' of the slotted Dome, but wherever it gets put is where it stays, whereas Skyshed Pod can be taken anywhere, and if a pesky tree is in the way just move the Pod :thumbsup:

avandonk
01-08-2007, 08:09 PM
My resident (in back shed) carpenter cabinet maker mate reckons the best base for one of these is a wood deck well off the ground. It allows cool air to flow from the bottom via the gaps in the deck. The only concrete should be associated with the pier.
Working on a plan.

bert