PDA

View Full Version here: : Dragonfly express on its way

netwolf
28-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi All,

Saw an absolute bargain on Astromart and I got it. I am over the moon.
A DragonFlyexpress b/w with PCI Firwire card. I cant wait for it to get here.

Just one question, is there a PCMCIA firewire B card?

With all the bad weather I am just collecting gear and no time to use it. Oh well cant win it all.

Regards
Fahim

matt
28-06-2007, 07:35 PM
I think I saw that advertised too, Fahim.

Was that the one listed for $400US???

Good price.

If that's the one you've scored, well done:thumbsup:

netwolf
28-06-2007, 08:44 PM
yes matt thats the one. I am just working out weather I can run this from a PCMCIA firewire card or even a Firewire 1394A port.

Regards

iceman
29-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Great stuff Fahim, well done. You need to get a filterwheel and filters now.. add at least another $500-$600 onto the cost of the camera :)

You should be able to use a PCMCIA firewire card, but you may also need a firewire 240v powered hub. You'll probably find yourself tied to 240v power before too long.

netwolf
29-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I know now why you needed that 10m cable Mike. I have my old nw8000 laptop that has a firewire port 4pin A port on it. However to use this I think I need as you suggest an external powered hub. Else I could buy a Sunnix or Lacie 1394b pcmcia card, but LAcie are discontinued and I cant find any others. I will do further investigation on this.

As to filter wheel yes I will need something there for sure, but I am bargain hunting. So I will try to avoid the extra expense if i can. The problem is the bargains come up together and its hard to pass them up but its also hard on the pocket. When it rains it might as well pour.

Regards

netwolf
07-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Its here and with Bird's kind and generous help (hats off) its working.
Wohooooooooo. I just pocked it at the back of my unused Meade straight through finder and I see purty pictures of my room (highly magnified).
Need to sort out some thin cables. Might have to go to oh no no no an Apple shop, there i said it. I hope and pray that tonight like last it stays clear. So i can get first light with it.

It seems firewire 9pin connectors are not standard I had to do surgery on my connector on the camera end, because there was not enoug metal bit to fit into the camera. I had to shave off some of the plastic insulation to make it fit.

Regards
Fahim