PDA

View Full Version here: : ED 80 Arrived

johnno
19-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Hi All,
Just thought I would let you know my Ed 80 arrived this morning from Lee Andrews.
I havent had a chance to set it up yet,and forgot to order a diagonal with it,so cant focus on anything yet to test it.
I am very pleased with Lee,I ordered it yesterday at about 1.30 pm,and it was here this am,cant get much better than that.
First impressions are very pleasing,its size is a bit of a shock as its a lot bigger than it looks on Lee,s website,although the weight is light.
it is very solidly made,says Skywatcher on the sides,and looking at the objective lens,it has a deep green tint,which I believe is a fairly good type of coating.
One thing that really impressed me was the supplied mounting rings,I didn,t expect them to be supplied,so they are a real bonus.I will post a better report when I have had a chance to test it.
Many thanks for all the helpful advice on my previous thread.
Regards.John

iceman
19-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Great johnno, can't wait to hear your first light report!

I'm surprised it didn't come with a diagonal, or at least, Lee should've asked if you needed/wanted one.

Do you have a tripod to mount it on?

Did you get any eyepieces with the scope?

johnno
19-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Hi Mike,
Yes I was surprised Lee didn,t ask re diagonal,I didn,t realise it was needed to focus.
The tripod I am going to use until I can afford better is an EQ2,it seems to work ok,but I wont know until I get to try the scope at night.
And no Eyepieces,I guess at the price of $599.00,there is not a lot of margin for him to include them,no matter I have all the inch and a quarter ones I need,I have ordered the diagonal,and hope it arrives tomorrow.it does come with the 2 inch to 1 1/4 adapter,so at least I will get some use while saving for the 2 inch gear.I am on a pension so it may be a while.
Cheers Mike.John

atalas
19-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Congrats jonno !enjoy It and we wan't to hear all about It.

Louie :)

Brendan
19-05-2005, 04:42 PM
:D looks like to night may be clear enough for first light John, only a few clouds around

johnno
19-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi Louie and Brendan,
I am looking forward to doing a mini review,when I can get to use it,unfortunately Brendan,clear skies wont help me tonight as I forgot to order a diagonal with it,hopefully it will arrive tomorrow,but its supposed to rain most of the weekend here,(thats about what you would expect GRRR),
Just off topic Brendan,if you are a member of Maitland fire Brigade,I spent most of my youth living at the Maitland fire Station,when my Grandfather was stationed there in 1957.
Regards.John

rumples riot
19-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Welcome to the ED 80 club Johnno. Hope the scope serves you well.:cheers:

johnno
19-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi Paul,
Thank you, do you have any suggestions re a good diagonal.I have ordered a standard 45 deg 1 1/4 inch one from Andrews to get me started,but I know there are better ones out there.
Is 45 deg or 90 deg best.
Thanks,Regards.John

rumples riot
19-05-2005, 10:20 PM
a Mirror diagonal is best, I bought an Orion some time ago, but it shows flares. It was over 120 dollars and am disappointed in its performance. I have contemplated returning it. So I would think that a Williams Optics diagonal would be best. These are over 200 dollars, but I must say that having seen one in action they are very good.

Starkler
19-05-2005, 11:34 PM
You did well getting it for $599 . I paid $699 for the Orion version and had to pay an extra $45 for rings !

I use a WO 2 inch diagonal in mine.

johnno
20-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Paul,
Thanks for the info re the mirror type diagonal,I am getting an el cheapo 1 1/4 inch one from Lee Andrews for the time being.
until I can afford the one
Geoff uses I have heard good reports on the Williams Optics diagonal and will get one of those when money permits.
I guess I was lucky Geoff,I just happened to be reading Lee,s ad in the latest Australian Sky and Telescope mag,and noticed the price on the ED 80,s,I knew they mostly sell for $699.00,so I thought at that price it was a good thing.
Must admit I was very surprised at getting the mounting rings as well.Cheers for now.Regards.John

Brendan
23-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi John, (off topic) no not part of the townies.
Im a bushie, member at lochinvar, just down the hill from you.

hope the diagonal has arrived, sky should be clear again tonight

johnno
23-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi Brendon,
Thanks for info re firies,
Yes mate the diagonal has arrived,I only got the cheap Andrews 45 deg,erecting one and havent had much of a chance to use the scope yet as I havent been able to walk without sticks for the last week or so,but i,m on the improve so maybe later in the week.
btw I am going to get the Williams optics diagonal in the next week or so,not happy with the 45 deg angle,(probably ok for terrestial viewing ) my fault I picked it,but as they say we live and learn.
Cheers.John

Brendan
24-05-2005, 04:52 PM
no good about the knees mate, hope the weather holds till they improve :)