PDA

View Full Version here: : Help with Lightbridge Mods

a1120028
19-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Would just like to hear some of the Lightbridge owners tips and ideas on mods for their scopes.

I'm considering getting a set of Bob's Knobs, painting the rings of the OTA black, as well as the trusses, or at least covering them with black foam.

Also what's the opinion on shrouds for truss dobs?

I'm a self confessed fix it till it's broke type, but seriously would just like to get the most out of my scope and am sort of using it as a blackboard before I move on to the 16".

JethroB76
19-06-2007, 06:50 PM
The collimation mod is a must do IMO. Look into astronomyshoppe.com though and you may find the kit cheaper. All the other mods will provide differing returns but this is probably the first you'd do.
A more durable finish on the rings would be to powder coat flat black, I think this only cost about $40 for the four. I think I'll do the trusses too.

Shrouds give a bit of peace of mind in case something is dropped but also helps with dew (as well as keeping out the light). I always use mine.
The inside of the tubes aren't real black either so might like to flock or repaint here too.

If you use big EPs or big barlows etc you may need to add some counter weights.

There are other mods which I can't think of at the moment but I'm others like the ever helpful astronut who know what can be done

Cheers

iceman
19-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Do a search for lightbridge mods here at IceInSpace. Astronut (john) has a 12" lightbridge and has done just about every mod available :P

He's listed them all before so search back and i'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas.

circumpolar
19-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Collimation is a must. Bintel sell a set of Bob's knobs & springs for $96.00

https://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm 'Telescope accessories' page 3.

I was quoted over $140.00 for Black Powder Coat of 4Xrings + poles. :mad2:
Still havent done that one yet.

Dew Sheld also.