PDA

View Full Version here: : * * * How to best review mounts? Let's insist sellers do this!

g__day
17-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm kinda surprised that there is no well established methodology to review (and even advertise mounts) - particularly german equatorial mounts with Goto ability.

To me a mounts three key capabilities are carrying capacity, tracking ability and pointing ability. Carrying capacity is almost always discoverable, yet nowhere in most reviews do we see any scientific or engineering based comment on tracking and only the most general comments on pointing.

Last week I asked Kevin at Astro Optical for instance about the Vixen Sphinx SXD

1) What was the true carrying capacity 15kg vs 23kg reported in the USA (and was this visual or astrophotography usage limits)
2) What was the maximum periodic error in tracking before and after PEC?
3) What was the maximum pointing error?
4) Was PEC remembered after scope power down or must it be re-set each and every time its used?

The answers after about five e-mails were

1) 15 Kg of scope - uncertain if usage was visual rated or astrophotography rated
2) Wouldn't comment other than it varies
3) Not commented on!
4) Must be re-learned on each and every power down, no plans to add this essential feature!

So there is someone in the business for 2 decades who can't easily comment on the key aspects of their mounts. But go to Peter Ward at Advanced Telescope Supplies or BinTel or Astronomy Online to mention just three of many - say you look at Losmandy mounts - see if tracking or pointing ability is mentioned - answer no!

Then last week I discover a service that a third party performs - Dr Clay - Arkansas University emeritus astronomy professor - that improves many mounts PE by 3 to 4 times!!!! So it leaves me really pondering how bad are manufacturers like Celestrons final assemble quality control!

And why don't reviewers speak of these issues?

How hard would it be for say this site to recommend a code of review, a methodology, for all major manufacturers to abide by - then ask distributors to all advertise there wares by this codes practices?

If we were to suggest a methodology for reviewing a GE mount in a standard fashion what would its ten commandments be - so to speak?

May I suggest:

1. List a mounts maximum carrying capacity - in ideal (windless and well balanced set-up) conditions - for both visual and astrophotography applications

2. List its guaranteed worst case raw PE and corrected PE and average PE and corrected PE (say using Tpoint or Pempro to confirm).

3. List its guaranted worst case pointing ability on ten well dispersed stars

4. Describe the quality of its gears and bearings in standard, comparable terms.

5. Confirm that it is tested and quality assured at completion - and that an external service provider doing their own quality assurance can't improve performance 200% - 300% by simple checks and adjustments that the factory itself should always be doing!

6. Confirm whether its ASCOM compliant.

7. List its faults and limits (e.g. if you don't supply 3A it will be wonky - Celestron CGE, if you don't balance the scope well the motors tend to burn out - Losmandy)

8. Describe its hibernate functions.

9. Confirms its abilities are consistent across all sky positions (it shouldn't vary depending where it points on the sky shoudl it?)

10. Describe the warranty and replacement details in more detail (e.g. Zane at Magellan observatory told me he had a horrible time with the Australian supplier of his G11 who disputed the errors and suggested all kinds of tests until it was out of warranty and then told him it was at his cost to get it repaired)! So describe how serious a failure has to be before it can be serviced or replaced. If it fails twice can it be totally replaced within warranty? If it doesn't perform to its rated minimum levels - can it be serviced, tested and if it still fails replaced?

Maybe this is too ambitious - but if a site like this one framed a should comply with methodology for selling and reviewing all mounts - what would you suggest the benchmarks should be? If all amateur astronomy sites distributed this and sent it to the manufacturers and reviewers - do you think they might come one day alot closer to applying this standard?

At present without this being done the risk is all on us!

PS

I'm ashamed astronomy magazines don't already have this sorted. If we can get a benchmark agreed - lets send it to all reviewers and manufacturers and see if they can adopt this this year. If we can benchmark cars, PCs and their individual components, TVs, cameras and other electrical devices - why can't we do it with the most important component of an imaging platform?

/end_rant

mick pinner
17-06-2007, 02:56 PM
a good rant all he same.
it would seem to me that if you listen to the mount manufacturers and re-sellers you cannot make a mount that works straight out of the box to the satisfaction of most imagers, not for a price that makes them affordable to the majority of imagers anyway.
maybe our expectations are to high, l don't know.
the majority of imagers on this forum l would guess use either the G11 at $5500 or the EQ6 at $2500 if using a GEM, why would the EQ6 perform to the standard of the G11 at over twice the price? it won't.
it would therefore stand to reason the G11 would not compare to the Paramount and so on, building a decent imaging platform is obviously a more expensive exercise that most of us think, IMO anything under the $5500 mark will bring ongoing heartache if serious long exposure photography is the goal.
l agree that realistic mount specifications from dealers would be a great idea, but l seriously think we are asking to much from the mass produced mounts that most of us can afford.

g__day
17-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Somewhat agree - but what I'm asking for are meaningful benchmarks of essential features. For instance if a review clearly said of 3 goto mounts

Model__Price____PE____Capacity (Kg)
EQ6___$2,400__+/-22___22
G8____$4,000__ +/- 8___13
SXD___$2,950__+/- 7___15

Well you could rapidly assess their fit to purpose.

I want image of 40 minutes on a guided rig capable of carrying 12 Kgs - I can guess what will best suit my purpose.

Let's say my budget is $10k - 13k, the OTA load is 28 kgs and the imaging time is 120 minutes guided. I can still use the above factors to compare a Losmandy Titan, a Tak NJP or EM400, an AP900 or AP1200. Well the same table applies:

Model____Price______PE_____Capacity (Kg)
Titan____$11,000___+/- 4______45
NJP______$ 9,200___+/- 3.5____30
EM400___$11,300___+/- 3.5____39
AP900___$11,357___+/- 3______35
AP1200__$13,429___+/- 2______45

Using the same parameters you could rule out the Vixen Atlux and prioritise the remaining mounts.

Now many of my other points relate to quality control. Nothing would stop a manufacturer reviewing at least 1 in 5 of its scopes for quality assurance (more if problems are often found - less if all is regularily good).

How many really good reviews of mounts have you read - versus the sort that go "The CGE looks great - sleek and modern, nearly all of its cables are hidden from view. Out of the box set-up is easy and it just works!" - yes all true, but whilst its bearing are great, its gears are significantly poorer in quality than the older G11 (so its 15 arc minutes vs 7 in periodic error). The reviewer should say so - it looks great, carries more and points and tracks alot worse than the equivalent Losmandy.

Terry B
17-06-2007, 08:39 PM
A nice rant.
I am looking do do the same thing as you.
I currently have a GP mount with a SS2000PC carrying a VC200l. This is OK for visual use but is realistically overloaded for photography. I can get 1min exp 50% of the time with the PEC turned on. To guide needs more weight and the mount won't handle it. Money is tight so a G8 or 11 is a bit out of the question. My choices seem to be a new sphinx SXD or a EQ6 and sell my current setup to help pay for it. (any idea what the SS2000PC and a GP mount are worth now?)
I have just read a relatively old review comparing the SS2000 and the sphinx http://www.groupeastronomiespa.be/SSvsSB_V1.02.doc.pdf that seems to demonstrate that the star book has significantly less functionality to my current controller. I am not sure what improvements have been made to the starbook since the review was written and is seems hard to find this info.
The EQ6 does have less functionality and the quality seems to be much less than the vixen stuff. Would I be disappointed with an EQ6?
A nice simple summary would make this process much easier.:(

g__day
17-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I'd recommend using Cartes du Ciel rather than the handcontroller on either mount if you can.

Also the EQ6 seems capable in its price range - but I here the version 3 skyscan has bugs - check with Mat at MyAstroShop

Terry B
17-06-2007, 09:24 PM
I currently use Skymap pro 6 (yes it's old) and I assume that I could still use this. Do the hand controllers have a LX200 emulation mode?

iceman
18-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Standardising with specs would be great, and it would certainly take the guesswork out of it for consumers.

The best bet would be someone (like yourself) taking this on and providing all the specifications in a table. I can host it on IceInSpace (as an article) and the information would then be available for everyone who is in the market for a new mount.

It could include prices from various vendors, links to reviews, etc.

Harpspitfire
18-06-2007, 07:01 AM
here in the US its propaganda pollution, meade and orion are simply tops here-- remember the 'state of art LXD55'?-- people couldnt wait to eventually get rid of em- they both still have extraordinary claims in their ads and catalogs- but ask a tech question and they really dont know squat- or in the case of higher $$ equipment they,d rather not say, i put more faith in forum member reviews then anything, i thought the ASGT was the best of the CG5 clones over the LXD75, SVP and EQ5- so thats what i picked up- but thats where the quality stops- the next step up is the GM8 or new Sphinx- but for $2K more so of us just dont have it, i wouldnt buy the EQ6-- i would over the orion model though-- but if im going to spend that much- i save another $500 and get a used CGE- but back to the advertising issues, i dont believe much of anything i read anymore- id rather get the FACTS from a forum group

gbeal
18-06-2007, 08:30 AM
G_Day
I admire your rant here, and intially though it was aimed at "sellers" like me (my mount is for sale).
I can see where you are aiming, but the realist in me says that unless every last buyer gets behind this, then it isn't going to happen. Most simply equate money spent with value or quality, or both.
I have worked my way through mounts, from the humble SP, through the Losmandy twins, an AP, and a couple of EM200's. They all worked, they all cost more as I got further down the line and they all are inferior to the mighty Paramount. Point is, I believe that buying and trying is really the only way you will know. If it works, then you won't part with it, unless your benchmark also changes. If it doesn't cope, then off it goes.
It is also a bit like the planetary imaging that has evolved here. Think back to the first few posts on Jupiter imaging for example. Everyone was absolutely flabberghasted with them. Now? Yawn, there is so much better. And so the humble ToUcam has been eclipsed (for some anyway) by the ability of the mono firewire cameras.
I know I am off track with your reply, but the bottom line to me is what works for me, in budget and functionality doesn't alwys flow through to anyone else. The standards you desire will help perhaps, but at the end of the day (pun here folks) it comes down to what you or I want and can afford, not what is written.
Gary

g__day
18-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Guys thank for the feedback so far, yes Mike I can start that article next month (going on holidays soon).

But back to standardising reviews and benchmarks - what are folks suggestions to fix / re-balance / improve the way the least knowledgable among you has suggested mounts should be reviewed? What questions must be asked, what is your wishlist of what you'd want to know - I'd love your thoughts!

gbeal
18-06-2007, 09:33 AM
If I was starting out, I would be asking what are current users using, and for what.
As an example a few are using the EQ5 to hold a 10" newt. This setup is sold currently as well as a great setup. To me the humble EQ5/CG% simply isn't up to it, but people buy them and use them. I found that to hold my 10" newt I needed at least the G11/AP600/EM200 sized mount, and my tube has been through the weight loss camp, and comes in at 10 kilos.
So if you are thinking of a specific style of use, and knew or could access others who were also in this field, ask them, or ask what they are using, and if they are happy with it.
This however is virtually where this forum excells anyway. Most are happy to pass on their thoughts and opinions freely.