PDA

View Full Version here: : Worthwhile Upgrade?

grl570810
10-06-2007, 07:27 PM
All,

I'm about to head overseas including the US. Whilst I know there's a heap of astro-stuff I can buy much more cheaply there I also know I will die a hideous death at the hands of She Who Must Be Obeyed if I do.:scared: So don't bother suggesting I get a set of Baader Hyperions or a 'cheap' WO FLT110 as I already want those and am going to have a struggle to resist them anyway.

But I reckon I CAN get away with buying a Philips 900NC webcam. The question is whether this is a worthwhile upgrade from my existing 740K? The CCD sensor is the same, isn't it - it's only the supporting circuitry that's different? Does this make enough difference to make it a significant improvement? Or will just upgrading the firmware using WcRMac and wcctrl achieve the same effect at less cost (i.e zero!)?

Opinions please.

Also, will my existing Mogg adapter fit?

Regards,
Graham

Rigel003
10-06-2007, 09:52 PM
I've just replaced my 840k Toucam with the 900NC. Cost $110 here but I believe they sell for about US$50 over there. I've only had a limited chance to use it so far (too much rain), but the first results suggest that the individual frames are smoother, less noisy and can be pushed further in processing without becoming grainy. You will need a new adapter. W900NC-F from Steven Mogg will cost about $20.