PDA

View Full Version here: : Andrews ed 80

johnno
15-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Hi All,
I was previously thinking of buying a gso 8" dob,but due to worsening mobility problems,I am now thinking of something lighter, like the Andrews 80 mm ed.
Does anyone have any experience with these,are there any quality issues,and what mount would you advise?
I have a skywatcher 114x900,and a tasco 8v,which I find Excellent,but getting more difficult for me to move around.
As allways any help and advice greatly appreciated.
Regards.John

iceman
16-05-2005, 07:51 AM
What mount does the 80mm ED come with? Is it the same as the Orion 80mm ED that Starkler and others own?

Obviously the aperture is much reduced from what you would've got with the 8" dob, but it is definitely a smaller and lighter scope.. but it does depend on the mount.

Can you tell us where you'll be using your scope, where you'll be storing it, how you'll get it to where you'll be obserivng from etc.

There might be options like storing a dob (or an EQ) on a trolley, either a hand-truck type trolley, or a 4-wheeled cart trolley, and just wheeling it out from undercover to your observing location. But if you need to go up stairs etc and mobility is difficult then you might want something much lighter and smaller.

dhumpie
16-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Or you could get one of those Mak-Cass (Synta or Meade) or Schmidt-Cass (SCT, Celestron or Meade). They are great "sit-down" scopes.

Darren

dhumpie
16-05-2005, 02:48 PM
The reason why I mentioned Mak-Cas is because an 80mm scope is still limited by its aperture. If you get a bigger Mak-Cass or even an SCT, you get access to a greater number of objects. Do you know what the scope will be used for (i.e. moon and plantes vs. DSO???)???

Darren

johnno
16-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi Mike and Darren,
Thank you both for your replies.
MIKE, I am not sure what mount the scope comes with,I THINK it is the same as the Orion,I havent yet rung Andrews to find out any details,just saw it in the latest Australian sky and telescope mag.
I use my scope mainly just outside my front door on the grass,so I dont have to go very far,its just awkward getting the heavier scopes down the front porch,I suffer from Bursitus in the knees and ankles,which often makes even walking small steps very painful.
I could store a Dob in the shed,but the shed faces the neighbors back light,so it would be necessary to haul it up to just inside my carport which to me is a fair distance.
I use my 15x70 binoculars a lot they are tripod mounted and can be picked up in one hand and set up just inside the carport very easily and quickly,so I was hoping to get something similar with a telescope,and thought the 80mm would suit.
DARREN,I agree the 80mm apature is a far cry from even my 114x900,which gives great views of just about everything.
I didn,t think of the Mak-Cass type of scope,which would fit the bill nicely,however I wasn,t sure how the view quality was compared to a true refractor,and they are fairly long focal length,which is good for planets,moon,etc but a bit difficult for dso,s.
I like to see everything from the moon to dso,s so I am looking for a compromise scope to cover the lot.
Thank you both for your help.
Regards.John

Striker
16-05-2005, 04:04 PM
The 80mm ED scopes from Andrews are OTA (Saxon)...I'm sure if you ask Lee he will put a compatable mount with it....probably the EQ5 would be a good choice.

From what I have learnt the Saxon / Orion are the same.

Bintel sell the 80mm Orion Package complete with mount but these are $1495.....bit expensive I think.

johnno
16-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your reply,I just got off the phone with Lee,before I came back on the net,and you are right the Ed80 he sells is the same as the Orion,all made by Synta,I am surprised you mentioned the EQ 5 mount,I would have thought any lightweight mount would be ok as the scope is very light itself.
Although when I mentioned to Lee I have an EQ 2 i could use, he said it was not good enough,so it looks like I might have to reconsider my thinking.
Thanks again Tony.
Regards.John

Striker
16-05-2005, 05:14 PM
The EQ5 is probably to big....I'm just a believer that your better off going too big then to small....but thats just me....you never know when you want to get all the astrophotgraphy equipment out....lol

dhumpie
16-05-2005, 05:25 PM
The EQ3 should hold the 80ED nicely (maybe even overkill). And since you said that you like a little bit of everything then scratch the SCT's and the mak's off the list. I myself have a Orion 80ST (non apo) mounted on a photo tripod and use it quite a bit. While it does not give as bright views of galaxies as my C6, I find I can still see heaps in this little scope. Plus bight and large objects look very pretty in this scope.

Darren

Starkler
16-05-2005, 11:56 PM
John is looking for a lightweight grab-and-go outfit so I wouldnt be recommending an eq mount in any flavour.

I had my ed80 on an eq3 type mount and hated it. Im currently converting the eq into alt-az and ditching the counterweight :D
A big improvement in weight and usability.

As for the ED80 , I couldnt ask for any more for the price. If 80mm is enough for you its a keeper.

atalas
17-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Yes Geoff,EQ and grab- and- go is a no-no! you have to go alt-az for ease of use.

Louie :)

johnno
17-05-2005, 01:41 AM
Hi All,
Some very good advice,to take on board.
TONY,
I can see your reasoning for an EQ5,if using camera gear etc,but as the others have said not really grab and go,which is what I really am looking for,I do take some pictures but only with a cheap digital camera Afocal style.
DARREN,
Your comments re bright and large objects looking good seem to fit the bill nicely,I do enjoy looking at the Moon And Planets,as well as DSO,S I think
GEOFFS
comments is 80mm big enough,is something to seriously think about,that is very important as I would hate to buy something I would be sorely dissapointed with,Although some of the reviews I have read re this scope seem to suggest it does give some very nice views of all types of objects.
I would dearly love an 8" dob,but it has often been said, the best scope you have is the one you use most often,so Although I have days when mobility is ok,they are not often,which means an 8" dob would spend most of its life inside,
LOUIE,S
idea re an alt az mount sounds the most promising,and I must admit I didn,t think of it at all,it would certainly fit the bill re weight and moveability.
Once again I thank you all.
Regards.John

iceman
17-05-2005, 06:04 AM
I agree with Geoff, an 80mm ED on an alt/az camera tripod (good quality one). Portability, lightweight, and a nice scope.

The faint DSO's will be out of reach, or very dim, but the brighter DSO's, as well as the moon and planets, will be nice in this scope.

grandpanancy
17-05-2005, 08:25 PM
I can't recommend the 80mm apo with an altaz mount highly enough. From all reports it is the perfect grab and go setup.

I just posted a report on this exact setup under megrez 80 mini report. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Cheers,

Dan

johnno
17-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi All,
MIKE,
Thanks for your post,it seems the 80mm on an ALT AZ mount is indeed the way to go for a lightweight portable setup,which is exactly what I need.
Thanks for the advice.
DAN,
I read your very nice report on the Megrez 80,and must admit I too was a little surprised at the image going soft at 155x,from all accounts and reviews I have read these little 80mm scopes go way beyond that level,when the seeing permits.
Thanks for your kind offer re any questions,I will keep you in mind in the future,I think I will give lee a call and grab one of these scopes while I can.he has them listed in the latest Australian Sky and Telescope mag at $599.00,I think at that price its well worth going for.
Thanks again for everybody,s help and advice.
Regards.John

Astroman
17-05-2005, 10:06 PM
{quote]The EQ5 is probably to big....I'm just a believer that your better off going too big then to small....but thats just me....you never know when you want to get all the astrophotgraphy equipment out....lol[/quote]

And here I was thinking the EQ6 would be ideal for this scope :)

Interesting to note that Synta 80ED and Orion 80ED are the same. Probably a big difference in price too.

johnno
18-05-2005, 02:01 AM
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your reply.
I agree the bigger mount would be better,but it is getting away from what I really need,which is something very lightweight,that I can pick up and carry outside when my joints are causing me problems.
I was surprised the the Synta and Orion ed 80s are the same scope,but that was what Lee Andrews told me yesterday,of course the lens coatings on the Synta may be a cheaper standard.I will look in to it before buying.
Regards.John

voyager2
18-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Johnno, ever thought of getting a scope buggy mate.

johnno
18-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Hi Braddo,
Yes I thought of the buggy,I was going to use it with an 8"Dob,only problem is I would still have to wheel it from my garage,and with my mobility problems its still a bit awkward.
the 8" Dob may still be an option when my joints improve,I dont have this level of difficulty all the time,but more often than not it feels like I am trying to walk with 2 sprained ankles and 1 sprained Knee all at the same time,so I think Lighter is better.
In Fact I ordered the ED 80 from Lee this afternoon.
Thanks for the reply
Regards.John

seeker372011
18-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Astro Optical(Crows Nest) sell another Orion clone-same price as Andrews.

they have just got in some stock-were sold out till yesterday. Branded with Bauer label..looks identical in all respects. Warren at Astro Opticals says he will collimate it before delivery

(one problem you may have heard of with the Orion scopes is that some of them apparently arrive out of collimation)

atalas
18-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah I saw that too seeker! and to be honest 80ED branded Bauer will have a better resale value that saxon I think.

Louie :confuse3:

johnno
18-05-2005, 10:41 PM
That sounds a pretty good deal,I had heard that sometimes the ED80,s can arrive out of collimation,but as I,ve already ordered mine I will keep my fingers crossed.
Louie has got a point,the Saxon brand name may not have the same resale value as the Bauer,but not a lot I can do about it now,Mine may be here tomorrow or Friday as I see the credit card has been debited.
Thanks for your replies.
Regards.John
P.S,going to google to look up collimation of ED 80,S

atalas
18-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Oh sorry johnno maybe I should not of said that ! thinking out aloud .

Louie :ashamed:

seeker372011
18-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Dont worry once you have it you will never want to sell it !

LOL

johnno
18-05-2005, 11:49 PM
No Problem Louie,There are good and bad aspects of all purchases,and as,
SEEKER says,I may never want to sell it anyway.
Just did a Google search on Collimation,Plenty of advice there,even joined a Yahoo ED 80 user group,which have a very good article on collimating, and downloaded the full manual, from the Orion site.
Looks like the Ed 80's are a very popular and well liked scope,with heaps of support for the owners.
Regards.John

atalas
18-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Yeah johnno never heard a bad report or an unhappy buyer. Im still thinking about geting one for a grab&go and a guide scope as well.
Give us a report when you can!

Louie:party:

johnno
19-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Hi Louie,
Yes I will give a report,with my very limited knowledge,but I will do the best I can.
Knowing what happens to the weather when we buy a new scope I can only guess when that will be.
At least it will give me a chance to set it up on a tripod.
Cheers Louie.John