PDA

View Full Version here: : Help - Finderscope problem

erick
03-06-2007, 01:46 AM
:help:I've created a problem with my finderscope - a bit dumb on my part! :screwy:

I have a GSO 8x50 finder - this one, but in battleship grey:-

http://www.gs-telescope.com/content.asp?id=65

Now, I had an alignment problem I asked about previously:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=20628

So today I tried to do something about it which included screwing off the tube containing the eyepiece and the cross hairs. Somehow I managed to damage the crosshairs so thought, no problem, I'll replace them. Uncrewed the locking "ferrule" which held the crosshairs (and the front eyepiece lens - one I thought) in place. Replaced the crosshairs with new pieces of fine copper wire - glued in place and trimmed off. Then somehow, I managed to tip the contents of the eyepiece tube out and ended up with two plastic spacers and two lenses - all of different shapes - one lens is a composite lens. It's not immediately clear what is the correct orientation of these components. I've tried a few different orientations, with anywhere from terrible to "a bit off" results.

Later today (OMG - look at the time!), I'll set about systematically trying all orientations and checking the result each time - hopefully one is clearly right.

However, if someone knows the correct orientation of the contents of this eyepeice tube, I'd be very grateful.

If someone was willing to pull their's apart to tell me what it should be, that will deserve a reward of some sort!

Eric :doh:

Tannehill
03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Fairly late night for a full moon, I'd say.

I've got the exact same finder, lemme pull it apart and see, I'll PM you a pic of the contents.

Scott

erick
03-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks Scott, that would be very helpful. Please be careful the lens don't just drop out in a pile, like they did with mine :sadeyes:

I didn't get time today to experiment with the permutations of orientation.

leon
03-06-2007, 10:20 PM
The things we do Erick, :P dont worry mate, i have a grub screw floating around inside of my Williams Optics 80mm, and that is because i fiddled with it. :whistle:

Cheers Leon :thumbsup:

erick
03-06-2007, 10:27 PM
It was your "Help, guys" post that encouraged me to post.............Ta :)

I work on the basis that, if you don't touch it, it won't go wrong, but it will certainly won't get any better - so touch it!

Tannehill
03-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Eric,

dig camera on the blink. emailed you with the info

cheers

scott

erick
04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks to Scott, here is the solution if anyone is as silly as I was.

Fitting into the eyepiece barrel, starting from the eye end:-

1. Composite lens, convex side towards eye
2. Short plastic spacer, with curved edge towards eye
3. Single lens, convex side towards eye
4. Long plastic spacer
5. Crosshair holder screws in firmly, crosshairs towards eye.

See attached photo. Single lens wouldn't stand on end - it is lying on its flat side, convex side up.