astroturf
28-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi everybody
I've been observing Jupiter over the last couple of nites on my new LX 90
10" from suburban Sydney

While it looks awesome, it's hard to distinguish any colour or detail
I've tried all of my ep's and various combinations of yellow,blue,polaroid &
even nebula filters. I can just see faint lines on the planet

What filter is everyone using & are you having any success?
does the position in the sky make much difference?

thanks
Bryan

iceman
28-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi Bryan

What eyepiece(s) are you using?
What time of night and altitude was Jupiter when you tried?

The position in the sky makes a huge difference. The higher in the sky, the better. You're looking through less atmosphere and the air is generally steadier, making the fine details much more visible and easy to see.

Observing is a skill, too. It takes practise, and you get better at picking out the details.

Keep trying!

astroturf
28-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks Mike

I have Orion Stratus 8mm & 17mm and a TV plossl 11mm
admittedly I have been viewing jupiter whilst it is low in the sky, I usually pack it in around 10.o'clock - I'll try staying up a lot later on the w/end when work doesn't dictate terms

Bryan

MortonH
30-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Bryan, when I first started 'serious' observing about 10 years ago, I was always frustrated by the lack of detail in the planets. I realise now that I was making two huge mistakes: (1) viewing when the planet was low down and badly affected by the atmosphere, and (2) expecting the details to 'pop' out at me without any effort on my part.

Now I know that the atmosphere makes it really hard to see any detail when the planets are low down, and I also found out that you really need to be patient and keep looking for at least 15-20 minutes. Even on a good night of steady seeing, you will still only have fleeting moments when the air seems to 'freeze' and amazing detail really does stand out. I know this because I saw the Great Red Spot for the first time only last week! I also realised that you can see details with lower magnifications than you might expect. The most important thing is to keep the image sharp.

Other things that might have an impact would be the scope's collimation, and also local sources of turbulent air. Also, try and be in a dark place (duh!) because any stray light that may be near your line of sight will dramatically reduce contrast. I've been doing a lot of observing from my balcony ( I live in a unit) and I find it helps to have a dark cloth or towel draped over my head and the eyepiece, to keep the streetlights and headlights away.

As Mike said, keep practising. If you persevere you should make the same 'breakthrough' that I did, only hopefully it won't take you ten years to realise what you were missing!

Morton

MarkN
30-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Bryan

I have three telescopes of different types and can only say that over the last few days the 'seeing' has been rotten through all of them regardless of EP. I live in the Wollongong area and there's just too much rubbish up there at the moment. Even at or near zenith, it's not pretty up there so be patient; the good viewing will come.

As far as your 10" LX90 goes, the TV 11 mm should yield good planetary views once the weather cleans up. In suburban skies though, you're up at 227X and that's starting to push it a bit. The 147X that the 17 mm will give you might well be the more agreeable view, albeit smaller.

At Cloudy Nights there is a good report on planetary EPs so look it up in the Eyepiece Report section.

Is your LX new with GPS? If so, how are you finding it.

Mark.

astroturf
02-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi Guys
Thanks everyone for pointing out that my new scope doesn't need collimating & my left eye is OK

I had a look on wednesday nite when jupiter was very high overhead & there was quite a difference, even with a 3/4 moon glaring nearby(should be good with no moon!) I could see several bands & a broken cloudy pattern,only the polarising filter improved this slightly

& yes Mark the 17mm was the best ep on the nite,also being a wide angle I could see all of the moons as well

I haven't found the report/review on planetary ep's on cloudy nites yet but I'm still looking

I'm really enjoying using this scope,the GPS & autostar finds the target accurately every time, I'm looking forward to observing under some dark country skies rather than light polluted sydney,where I'm sure I'll see a lot more of everything

Bryan

MarkN
02-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Bryan,

Here is the link:

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/planetaryeyepieces.pdf

Mark.

Stephen65
02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Just then I enjoyed the best seeing I have had since I got my new refractor, and I also tried out a brand new Pentax 5XW. Jupiter was at the zenith and the level of detail was much better than I have seen before, not only could I see at least half a dozen bands but I could see detail in the bands for the first time. It just goes to show what a difference good seeing makes.