PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron C6 SCT on Vixen Porta Mount

UniPol
13-05-2007, 04:27 PM
I thought I would post a few pics of the Celestron /Porta mount setup which proved to be a great combination of grab and go portability for visual observing this weekend. The C6 performs brilliantly and with the 2" visual back, my other accessories from the LX200 such as the focal reducer fit straight on. The Porta mount is proving to be one of the best investments I have ever made particularly with the addition of the right angled combination plate. It takes my PST and Solarmax40, 20 x 80 binoculars, ED80, cameras and now the C6 with ease (not all at once though).

Starkler
13-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Yes the Porta is a pretty good versatile mount, and as I found last night, more solid than an eq5 with steel tube legs.

EDIT: I retract that last sentence after taking another look with the eq5 :whistle:

beren
13-05-2007, 05:04 PM
:thumbsup: very nice

Interesting :confuse3:

acropolite
13-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Way to go, I notice in the latest Astronomy that there's a battery powered JMI dual axis motor drive option (http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=20&pid=11573&m=) for the porta mount now for around US$199.

UniPol
13-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Just when I thought I was going back to basics by doing it by hand someone has to spoil it by inventing a new technological innovative automated controller thingy thing marvel. I was hoping to put twin overhead foxtails on the mount as my next purchase but now I'll have to go out and get the JMI thingy I suppose. Thanks Phil :whistle:

UniPol
14-05-2007, 07:50 PM
I thought I would post another pic of the Celestron C6/ Porta Mount setup showing the visual back fitted with my Meade f6.3 focal reducer, 2" Meade diagonal and 21mm Hyperion eyepiece. I was wondering if it would achieve focus and whether the set up was going to be too weighty. On both accounts the scope and mount performed flawlessly. The field of view in the eyepiece was beautifully flat and no vignetting. It's great to be able to use the accessories I use on the LX200, certainly a big monetary saving.