PDA

View Full Version here: : HEQ5 grinding noise

Sgtfretsurfer
10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey guys
Have any of u HEQ5 or EQ6 owners out there ever experienced a loud grinding sound during RA axis movement? Mine traveled to a certain point (approximately horizontal), made the noise, and would go no further. It happens really rarely; last night, about 1 month ago, and about 2 months before that. After a few minutes it seems to stop. Last night it stopped after i released the lock and moved it past the point it wouldn't travel past. Even thought it doesn't happen often and doesn't last long its still worrying, it makes me think that there might be a bigger underlying problem. So im thinking about getting the technician from the store i bought it from to take a look, but before i do, what do u guys think?
Cheers
Matt

KG8
11-05-2007, 06:23 PM
I just bought one of the EQ6's myself and observed a "NO GO" zone myself. It turned out to be I had not balanced the OTA on the mount properly and when it got to a certain point it just slipped on the internal clutch mechanism. Balancing it properly fixed the problem. As for your grinding, who knows? I do know that there are a few grub screws that can be accessed from the outside and a few adjustments that can be made by removing the circular black caps. I know this because a member of the local astro club told me. He also warned me NOT TO TOUCH THEM if I didn't have a clue, which I don't. I don't have any grinding or such but I will be seeing him in a week or so and he is going to have a look at the meshing of the worms and optimize them for me. Perhaps that is all your problem is and an expert can fix it. Lets hope!

bluescope
14-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a Warranty job !

:thumbsup:

Sgtfretsurfer
17-05-2007, 02:20 PM
well it was balanced, and i certainly havent got the confidence to start pulling it apart and tinkering with the gears lol looks like its off to btow for inspection...