PDA

View Full Version here: : what will a good eyepiece give me(planets)

doogal
04-05-2007, 04:38 PM
guys i am currently using the ep's that came with my gso dob and while i can see cassini on saturn and 5 of its moons currently and quite a few bands on jupiter even when its just risen from the east, i cant help but wonder just what a good quality ep will give me?

will it show up many more finer details,like would cassini be even more defined etc? i do want to get a couple of nice ep's but me being a novice i dont want to go into it expecting much improved views and be a little dissapointed. i really need some friends with scopes...

gbeal
04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Doog,
at this stage, my advice (apart from finding some friends) is to grab the U/O set that was advertised in the Eyepiece Buy Sell. The U/O orthos are a great eyepiece, and will start you off on the "better" stuff. Yes there is possibly better, and certainly much more expensive, but they are a great start.
Gary

janoskiss
05-05-2007, 01:14 AM
- better contrast.
and possibly, depending on the design:
- better eye relief
- larger field of view

No, not many more - but what's there will be a little bit easier to see with a higher contrast EP, plus you would get an aesthetically more pleasing view. The GSO plossls that came with your scope already do quite a good job.

ving
05-05-2007, 04:55 PM
steve is right :)
your GSOs will be doing quite a good job as it is. if you go for the OUs in the buy n' sell section you'll get better contrast but basically the same detail. a TV radian will give you more eye relief and the magnification you are using or a nagler will give you a wider field of cview...

but if you dont find your gos hard to use (ie your eye being so close to the EP) then stick with what you have ....

it comes dow to what you want really. wide view? eyerelief? contrast?