PDA

View Full Version here: : Spray-on adhesive?

iceman
06-05-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm after a recommendation (product + place of purchase + price) for some spray-on adhesive.

I want to stick some black felt/velvet to a bedroll.. Also, it would be good if it worked to stick black velvet to the inside of my OTA. My tube is partially flocked, but messy in parts due to the adhesive I used last time.. I want to tidy it up.

I guess it doesn't have to be spray-on, but I figured that would be easiest.. happy to hear any other suggestions though.

Thanks

ausastronomer
06-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Mike,

I bought some "spray adhesive" labelled as such from Spotlight Tuggerah (Gosford would also have it) for about $10 for a large spray can. This will also do a good job of sticking your flocking material down.

Another option for flocking, is to buy the self adhesive black flocking paper from Spotlight. It is already cut into sheets about 300mm x 250mm which is a comfortable size for handling and laying. The glue on this stuff is the best "self sticking" glue I have ever seen. Once its stuck to your tube and given an hour or two to dry it's stuck for good. I once needed to remove a small piece and had to soak it with turps. You also need to be carefull with this stuff not to let it fold back and stick to itself glue side to glue side, if you do its in the garbage bin, thats why the small sheets are comfortable to work with. Another tip is to cut any smaller pieces required to size before you remove the backing paper. It costs about $2-50 a sheet, total cost is about $35 to completely baffle a 10" scope with this stuff but it does a good job.

CS-John B

iceman
06-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks John, that might be a better option. I'll get the wife to head into Spotlight in Gosford today.

ving
06-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I can vouch for spotlights spray (not for telescopes of course but general prupose) :)

5ash
10-05-2005, 08:54 PM
mike,
The best flocking ive come across is a blackFlock /velvet paper that you can buy in big art supply shops. Its not reflective like some of the flocks you can buy . Heaps better than black velvet , most of which seem to have some shiney bits. I lined all my eyepiece barrels with it and all the inside bits of my 6inch refractor that i could reach easily. Worked very well .
regards philip

Thiink
11-05-2005, 10:06 AM
The spray I got from Spotlight was very average, it didn't do a good job of sticking the felt down at all. Maybe I got the crappy stuff (there was several brands, I just got the most expensive one (by about $1 :P).

rumples riot
11-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Mike if you try at an Art supply store, I am sure they will have a glue that comes in a can and will stick so well it wont separate from the item that you are sticking down.

ausastronomer
11-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Simon,

I am prepared to bet London to 2 bob that you didn't follow the directions properly. The stuff I have comes in a purple can and works very well, it is made by ARBEE CRAFT. The directions on the can are self explanatory:-

1) SHAKE THE CAN WELL. This means for a good couple of minutes not 5 seconds.

2) FOR A PERMANENT BOND - Apply to BOTH surfaces ALLOW TO BECOME TACKY (about 10 to 15 minutes) then press together.

3) FOR A TEMPORARY BOND - Apply to ONE surface only ALLOW TO STAND FOR 5 MINS then press together.

Clear Skies
John Bambury

Thiink
14-05-2005, 08:40 PM
The stuff I got is in a light greeny coloured can (guessing, will check on specifics later).

We followed the instructions that were on the can (so I'll have that two bob, thanks!). I had two people have a good go at shaking it first (had already been told that it needs a good shake), and we did try the two sides of the felt first, followed by the single side only.

I only just got back from a trip to Wagga Wagga today, and haven't check on it for a few days, will have to do that tomorrow.

Dave47tuc
14-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Mike,
I just flocked my tube today. I used black self adhesive velour.
Brought it a Mitre10.

Its called " foil self velour velour std black. Part No alk132068.
Cost $14 a metre. I brought 3 Mt.

Pulled optics out and flocked 98% of the tube. Reset the optics.

Tested the scope with some high cloud tonight. The differance was quite obvious.:D

I'm very happy with the results.

I'm a printer and use spray adhesive from time to time and its to messy and hard to get a good result.

Good luck.

ausastronomer
14-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Simon,

Consider the 2 bob handed over :)

Cs- John B