27-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Where could one get one in Sydney?

Regards
Fahim

Tamtarn
27-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Hi Fahim

According to their catalogue there is a Anaconda store in Auburn Power Centre
92 Parramatta Road Lidcombe ( Below Spotlight ) Ph : 02 9737 8433.

To get the special price you just have to join their store club on the day and it's free. That's what we did and this entitles you to any specials that they may have at any time.

netwolf
27-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks Tamtarn. I will give them a call.

astroron
27-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Anaconda have just opened a store in Logan south of Brisbane, just a little far to go from here:(

Ric
27-04-2007, 11:41 PM
What a top idea, perfect for keeping the dew off. I'll have to have a net search and see if there are any stores in the Canberra area.

Cheers

Tamtarn
27-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi Ric

No store listed in Canberra. They do have in their catalogue phone orders welcome Ph : 1300 669 137.

Website - www.anaconda.com.au

Ric
28-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks for that, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
I love the way that as amateur astronomers we can look at something and see a totally different application for it, must be all that fresh night air.

Cheers

Gargoyle_Steve
28-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Ron they do have a store in the Everton Park area - northside Brisbane, a lot closer than Logan (and I get down that way somewhat.

Everton Park Store

429 South Pine Road
Everton Park Queensland
Ph: (07) 3355 4455
GPS: S 27 24.595 E 152 59.585

ballaratdragons
28-04-2007, 02:33 AM
Looks like a great idea.

Yep, joining the club is an excellent idea. I am a member of Rays Tent City and I get amazing discounts and its free to join.

iceman
28-04-2007, 07:23 AM
That's great! Nice find!

Gargoyle_Steve
28-04-2007, 05:06 PM
For those who do not have an Anaconda store nearby, but do have a BCF (Boating Camping Fishing) (http://www.bcf.com.au/store-locations/index.aspx) store - read on.....

My nearest Anaconda store is over an hour trip away, each way, so I decided to check what BCF had available. Browsing their website I found they had an Oztrail Popup Ensuite on sale for $69.90, no pic available but sounded interesting. This is still $20 dearer that Anaconda's price but the difference in price is worth it in terms of fuel alone. I gave BCF a call to ask a couple of questions, and was on my way almost immediately thereafter.
:thumbsup:

I have to say that this seems near identical to the Anaconda version. It comes with a large carry bag (side pocket carries all poles, 8 pegs & instructions) plus it has small nylon guy ropes for extra stability and a fold away floor section which attaches internally to inbuilt hook/strap attachments in each corner so if you WERE using it as a shower you don't have to stand on the dirt.

My focus was to find a shelter for my scope itself and not a hutch for a laptop, etc. I was pleasantly surprised by the instore display model and I purchased it immediately!

(I also grabbed a LED headlamp unit for $20 - 3 white LED's, 2 red - best thing is it has a slide switch so you don't have to step through "white" modes to get to a pure red light, and the price was right! Look for "Carolina Knife and Tool" unit in the torch/lighting section)

The "Latrine" has plenty of room to house my 12" dob in comfort, and with the door wide open I can wheel it in and out on the trolley over the front lip without ripping the tent (tent was NOT pegged down at this point though, I will re-test later). The Latrine is 210 cm high in the domed roof, and 120 cm (I think) along each side at ground level.

Again please note that in these pics the tent was not pegged down - in fact I tried opening the tent up and simply slipping it over the dob as a fast fix for a sudden shower of rain. This worked fine, in fact I found it easiest to lower it down over the dob with me also inside to guide it better, then I unzipped the door and stepped outside!

Al in all I think this is a great unit, and mine will be on display at Astrofest this year for sure!

Please note : guard dog is NOT included!
:lol:

Tamtarn
28-04-2007, 05:39 PM
The Oztrail is identical to the one that we got Steve. Right down to the floor, guy ropes, carry bag with pocket and exactly the same size. Just a slightly different colour and brand name.

Looks like it's readily available to more people with at least two franchises stocking it :thumbsup:

We love these type of stores, just browse around and there's lots of goodies for astro equipment.

We have also picked up a great little aluminium table which collapses down into a tube bag like the camp chairs. Terrific as a travel table for equipment.

Gargoyle_Steve
28-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes it's great to see so many different products that can be of use in the pursuit of backyard astronomy.

I was originally going to try this portable observatory, as purchased from the ABC Shop ..... the advertising blurb led me to believe that it was much bigger on the inside than it appeared. Sadly this proved to be false, and my dob did not fit.

;)

Tamtarn
28-04-2007, 08:11 PM
You've got to be kidding Steve :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could always use it to change into your SUPERMAN suit ;) ;) ;)

[1ponders]
28-04-2007, 08:44 PM
It's a great idea guys, but you are all wwaaaayyyy too late. Note the h0ughmyster from Qld last year.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14983&d=1153636542

I must say though, the ones on this page look a bit roomier. :confuse3: Might have to look into one of these.
Though I must say these ones look more stylish....

Gargoyle_Steve
28-04-2007, 11:25 PM
I saw h0ughy's elegant imaging abode at Astrofest last year Paul and yes it was impressive - the idea of getting something similar has been in my head ever since. I went for this model in the end more because to me it seems to provide more of a dust "seal" to keep errant particles from blowing onto my mirrors, and also I liked the "pop-up" idea too so I can get it up and in place almost instantly over the scope (and me) if needed.

But I agree ... h0ughy's mini control room is a great piece of kit!

Tamtarn
29-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Dave 47 had a similar one last year at Snake Valley. We thought it was a great idea but hadn't got around to finding one until now

Omaroo
30-04-2007, 03:46 PM
You can get those shower/dunny tents at pretty-well all camping stores. Rays, Kangaroo, Anaconda, BCF - they all have an equivalent. I've found that the zippers fall apart in no time (we've been through three of these pop-up tents) because of the way the bendy frame keeps the material too tight. You do up the door and the zipper is under huge stress. Otherwise they're OK.

The other type is the Coleman Insta-Set Deluxe Shower/Toilet (http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/templates/coleman_content_products.aspx?produ ctCode=10820A&categoryID=1188&parentCategory=1082). It sets up with permanently attached articulated poles and pops up in around ten seconds. It's a little more expensive - but it is far better in winds and is larger.

Either way - they're all good! :thumbsup:

lysdexic
30-01-2009, 03:43 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/member.php?u=871) before you purchased that tent from BCF did you check Anaconda's price match guarantee? They offer a 10% less on the competitors price, on the same stocked item. Best off all I got my one (Spinifex brand) for $29 just by talking to the right staff.

The market is great for buying at the moment as every retailer is wanting your money and they are will to barter.

The customer finally has the upperhand :D

Davros
30-01-2009, 11:30 AM
BTW there is an Anaconda at Morayfield. Opened up about a month or two ago.

troypiggo
30-01-2009, 05:30 PM
You guys do realise this thread is 2 years old? :)

[1ponders]
30-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Boy two years, how time flies. Year 1: The h0ughenator starts the portable dunny trend with a single tent. Year 3: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=46003 and you can still see the original obelisk over in the background. :thumbsup:

JethroB76
30-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Bring out yer dead!

Bring out yer dead!

troypiggo
30-01-2009, 07:02 PM
LOL Wow. That's a whole lotta tents. Where was that?

[1ponders]
30-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Queensland Astrofest at Camp Duckadang. Head out past Kilcoy til you get to Moore and hang a right to Linville and then go about another 15 Km. Beautiful spot. Do a google search for Queensland Astrofest. ;)

[1ponders]
30-01-2009, 07:10 PM
http://www.qldastrofest.org.au/

jjjnettie
30-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Hey Mick, did you get to their one day sale a week or so ago?
Up to 80% off.
We picked up some real bargains.

Camp cupboards for just $5 each.
Filleting knives for $1
Fishing knife kits including 2 knives, scaler, knife sharpener, cutting board, scales and tape measure all in a hard case for only $5
A small Maglight for $8
Sleeping bags 2 for $19
Quality flippers for the kids $2
They also had surf boards reduced from $180 down to $40.

Gotta love a bargain!

renormalised
31-01-2009, 12:05 AM
What a brilliant idea!!!:D

BC
31-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Ric (and others in the Canberra region),

There is one of those BCF stores (Ray's Outdoors) in the new DFO thing at Fyshwick.

Bruce