PDA

View Full Version here: : Deep Sky Filters?

bluescope
27-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Lumicon Deep Sky filters ?

:shrug:

MortonH
27-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi Steve, didn't I post a mesage to you about this before???

General rule is that they are useful visually under moderate to heavy light pollution. For photography, they increase contrast under normal conditions (i.e. less than 'perfect' conditions).

When I bought mine, Lumicon were about the only brand to get. Now you have more choice, from the cheaper Orion, etc to the expensive (and apparently excellent) Astronomik filters.

I'll be completely honest with you, if I was buying any filter these days, I'd got for Astronomik cos I know they're the best, and they're supposed to be very tough. However, Lumicon have been around for a while and also make very good products.

I'm prepared to negotiate on the price I advertised before. PM me if you want more info.

Cheers

Morton

bluescope
29-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks Morton, I appreciate your offer but I'm a bit a stickler for new gear in general. I saw the Orion filter on Bintel and was tempted but thought maybe Lumicon was better. I'll check out Astronomik.

:thumbsup:

MortonH
29-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I know what you mean. Although second-hand stuff is much cheaper, you don't get the same peace of mind that you get with a new purchase.

If you do get the Astronomik, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

Cheers

Morton

wavelandscott
29-04-2007, 06:27 PM
If you are interested I have an Astronomik CLS 1.25 inch filter I am willing to sell as it does not get much use...just give me a PM. You can check out the archives in the buy/sell and see information about it.

It works okay but is no subsititute for dark skies...

bluescope
30-04-2007, 12:49 AM
No worries Morton ! ;)

I would only be interested in 2" new filters Wavelandscott, to fit my MPCC, thanks anyway !

:thumbsup: