PDA

View Full Version here: : Can Someone Help - FSQ focus problems

leon
24-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi All

Can someone please tell me why I cant get focus on the Takahashi 106 when I use a diagonal of any description, I have three, the original Takahashi one, a excellent WO one, and new one i just bought from another member, it's that new that I cant remember the brand, as I'm in here, and the diagonal is in the Observatory.

I have used many EP's of different focal lengths, and cant get enough inward travel to get focus. :shrug:

Use the EP's straight through, and they are all perfect, put the diagonal in between, nothing.... :shrug:

Are there any other Takahashi owners, who have experienced this problem.

Thanks Leon :thumbsup:

[1ponders]
24-04-2007, 10:04 PM
From memory Leon, a number of the Taks won't take a diagonal. I have a chart here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

jase
24-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Leon,
Didn't we cover this in your other thread - http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=19423 or are you now experiencing a different issue?

[1ponders]
25-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Jase, could you supply a link to the chart you posted in the other thread. The charts you and Dennis supplied are the ones I was referring to above. I can not find mine now.

Cheers

leon
25-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Jase, yes it is the same problem, and I'm sorry that i am repeating myself, it is just so bloody frustrating, I have tried every possible combination (well obviously not all combinations) to try and get focus. :shrug:

I have used the system chart and have most of the bits and pieces that Takahashi supply, extensions, extenders you name it, i have it., but nothing will works :sadeyes:.

I just figured that there must be someone out there who uses a Tak like mine for visual, and just wanted to know what they did to get it to work.

Sorry for repeating myself. :rolleyes:

All you good people have been fantastic with help and advice, but it just wont work.

And they said Astronomy was fun. :lol: :lol:

Cheers Leon :thumbsup:

jase
25-04-2007, 09:07 AM
All the Tak system charts can be downloaded here;
http://www.takahashiamerica.com/catalog/system_charts.php?osCsid=9de9324023 81c73846b793191ae72a2d

leon
25-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks Jase, yep, i have that system chart, i use it strictly to the way it shows, with every component it shows for visual, and for photo.

The only difference is that i do not have their native diagonal, No 49 in the chart for the 1.25 EP's, other than that, all is the same.

If i insert the 1.25 EP without the diagonal, as shown, it is fine, and focuses OK.

Thanks Again. :thumbsup:

Leon :)

[1ponders]
25-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks Jase :thumbsup:

leon
25-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks Paul for your trouble, I'm sure it will all come together in the end.

Leon

jase
25-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Leon,
Is it possible for you to take some pictures of your visual configuration directly after the focuser? (Perhaps a step by step photo as you add each accessory/adapter - all the way through to the eyepiece). Sounds like you've got all the necessary accessories. I'm just not sure of what order you've got it in. I've never heard of anyone having so much trouble that you're having. The original FSQ-106 (non-N version) I had a few years back worked a treat visually with the right adapters using a diagonal.

leon
25-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Jase, yep, i could probably do that, i'll see how i go, and get back to you soon

Leon

leon
25-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi Jase, Ok, this is how it is.

First end of scope with coupling ring.

Dedicated Takahashi Diagonal, with 1.25 EP holder accessory.

Next 17mm x 1.25 EP

Also last view of Enad of scope with coupling, extender Q extension tube, with Extender Q 1.6x inserted as decribed in system chart, 1.25 diagonal, and 17mm 1.25 Ep.

Have to admit i have not tried that last combo yet, wait till tonight, however it is stated quite clearly that the Tak can be used for visual with the dedicated combo above, and dose not need the extender Q to work

Cheers leon:thumbsup:

jase
25-04-2007, 04:48 PM
OK. Great Leon. Now I understand what you're doing. I've was never able to connect a diagonal directly to the back of the FSQ and reach focus. From the coupling at the back of the scope, I use to used the 2" ocular adapter, then the diagonal, eyepiece. This worked fine, but I suspect the 2" diagonal provided the additional back focus required to reach focus.

As you've probably noticed in your first photo, the rear lens set is extremely close to the back of the scope. Hence you need to be careful with what you insert (adapter wise).

I'd be very surprised if you can't reach focus on your last combination (the one you haven't tried yet). You're correct, you don't need to use the extender Q, however in most cases it is wise to use it for visual work as it slows the scope down to F/8. Having stated this, I didn't use it much. If you don't use it, you need to ensure you have extension tubes (or in my case the 2" ocular adapter/diagonal) to reach focus.

Please let me know how you get on.

leon
25-04-2007, 07:23 PM
OK Jase, here we go, the last combination with the extender Q has failed, if i take out the diagonal it works like a treat, and i had the 9mm Meade reticle in it doing some star aligning, not a problem and focus was spot on.

Whack in the diagonal, or any other diagonal, or the native diagonal, and I'm buggered. :shrug:

Its got me, stumped, i looked at, and tried all the accessories, and i have some, but nothing will work.

So Mate, you don't want a Tak for 5 bucks do you. :lol: :lol:

I bet by now I've got you scratching your head too, thanks for help Jase.

leon
25-04-2007, 09:14 PM
To all the people out there that gave me so much advice and suggestions about my focus problems.

The problem has been fixed, :thumbsup: and all is well, i can actually see the stars :whistle:this was not by my hand, trust me, i just didn't see something very obvious to some, but not me :doh: :doh:

Anyway thanks to everyone that went out of their way to assist.

Gargoyle_Steve
25-04-2007, 11:38 PM
I was thinking Leon that if you actually list the cause of the problem and it's obvious / not so obvious resolution it may be very helpful to anyone else, now or in the future, who may be suffering the same problem and frustration as you.

jase
26-04-2007, 07:36 AM
:shrug:
Yeah, come on Leon... you don't get off the hook that easy mate. Certainly not after creating two threads and have involved many members on this forum in attempt to resolve your FSQ focus problem.:P

Let it be known to others who venture down the same path...What did you do?

leon
26-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Yep, your probably right there Steve, Jase, and all you other great, helping people, it is some thing that i probably should have known, but it went right over my head, until it was pointed out by another member.

If you look at the 4th image, of the post showing the configeration of the elements, it will be noticed that the Tak diagonal is a 2'' with a 1.25 adapter.

The Ep that i was using is a 17mm 1.25, so i figured that i had to use the adapter, i did not realise that i could take the adapter off and then use the 2" part of the EP barrel to slide the EP further down the Diagonal. :whistle:

I figured if it is 1.25mm you use 1.25, if it is 2", you use 2", didn't realise you could use the same EP in both.

Well this did the trick and gave me at least an inch less in light travel. :doh:

So there you have it something so simple

Thanks for your help guys

Leon :thumbsup:

montewilson
27-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Dear Leon - We FSQ'ers suffer for our ambition. We should have bought something a little less exotic.

Just FYI now that it has be resolved.

With the 31mm type V Nagler I have about 1mm of back focus if I use the tak diagonal. I actually put the barrel of the eyepiece in the lathe and took off 1mm. Otherwise it focused literally at end of the travel. As you couldn't go past the point of focus it was not very convincing when I wanted to be sure I had it focused.

My Nagler 5mm type VI focuses with about 5 - 10mm.

Regards

Monte