PDA

View Full Version here: : binoview eyepieces

Cec
22-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi all
I am a new member but haver been looking at the heavens for a few years now
Question . Am I waisting money on buying wide angle eyepieces ie 82 degree for a binoview or am I going to get the same view through a 60 degree eyepiece.
Thanks
cec:screwy:

astroboy
22-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi cec
What I've found to be the issue with some of the cheaper eps is kidney beaning which is a slight pain with one ep but drives you crazy with a binovue .
The cheapest eps that hove worked for me are the old Meade super wides ( 24.5s and 18s ) the best I found for higher power are the 13 Naglers all have good eye relief which is another issue.
In short the ultra wide field is less important than the other issues , the Pentaxs could be worth looking at but they are about the same price as the Naglers anyway I paid $800 for the pair of Nagers at Bintel.

Thanks
Zane

Cec
23-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks Astroboy
the reason i asked is i already have a panoptic 19 and 27 , so do i buy another panoptic 19 ?? or do i buy a couple of plossls , could be a costly decission
Cec

ausastronomer
24-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Zane/Cec

Whilst I am an enormous fan of the Pentax XW's they do have issues for some people when used in a binoviewer. That being that you need a head the size of Texas, because of the minimum interpupillary distance they offer as a result of their size. Some people with a large head can use them, many can't. Just something to consider before you drop $1k on 2 eyepieces :)

Having used both the 14mm and 21mm Denkmeier eyepieces in both cyclops mode and binoviewer mode, I can tell you they are absolutely outstanding in every respect. They are about the same size as the Nagler T6's but offer 20mm of eye relief and a lot more comfort. They have a 65 deg AFOV and are tack sharp to EOF in an F5 newtonian. Superb eyepieces, the downside is they only come in 14mm and 21mm focal lengths, but that may suit your needs. They are superb in cyclops mode as well as in a binoviewer BTW. FWIW I own 5 Pentax XW's, a 31mm Nag a 17mm Nag 4 and a 12 Nag 4 and I rate the Denks at the same level.

http://deepskybinoviewer.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.displ ay&category_ID=2&CFID=5894055&CFTOKEN=82097397

You can order these in Australia from Daniel Beringer at Frontier Optics. I think they are between $350 and $400 each, possibly a bit cheaper due to the favourable exchange rate.

http://www.frontieroptics.com.au/

Cec,

In answer to your subsequent post the 21mm Denk is a clearly superior eyepiece to the 19mm Panoptic and probably costs less money. It is also a lot more comfortable to use.

Clear Skies
John Bambury

wavelandscott
24-04-2007, 11:21 PM
I can confirm that the 21 mm Denks are very nice indeed! I got a set over Christmas.

While I am not an experienced Binoviewer I find that Ausastronomer's comments with respect to the 21 mm Denks to be spot on. They are very nice...