PDA

View Full Version here: : C11 SGT Error Message

KMachell
21-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I have just bought a shiny brand new Celestron 11" SGT (XLT) after a long time considering the value for dollars of various scopes. My main interest is Photography (Galaxies & Nebulae).

As expected the clouds rolled in (yes, I am to blame for the bad skies in Melbourne this week) and I couldn't try it out.

I set it up in the lounge room to get familiar with the various functions of the GOTO controller. At first I got the occasional "No Response 16" (or 17) error, but after a couple of days it has become constant. I can remove the DEC connecting cable from the mount and the scope moves OK in RA and gives no errors. The DEC cable also gets fairly warm.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or got any advice ?

:help:

Thanks,

jase
21-04-2007, 12:43 PM
"This error indicates that the hand control is unable to communicate with the motor control processors located inside the mount. One source for this error is faulty power, either low voltage (weak batteries) or a loose connector."

http://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/NoResponse.htm

"Also, there is a problem on some AS-GT mounts regarding insulation between the bottom of the motor control board and the mount. Peter Bruce has written an article describing the problem and the fix." - This may also be the cause. Look at the link above to get more info.

KMachell
21-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Jase,

Thanks for your response.

I did have a look at Celestron's site and found the "no communications" descriptions of the error. The funny part is that if I don't plug in the DEC cable and skip the align startup function, the scope works fine using only the RA drive motor.

What does concern me and makes me think it is more than just lack of communications is that the DEC cable gets fairly warm.

I am a sparkie by trade, but was concerned about Celestron honouring the warranty if I start poking around inside the mount.

jase
21-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Could the warm DEC cable be heat transfer from the DEC motor? I've never used an AS-GT. Is the DEC motor enclosure hot?