PDA

View Full Version here: : Modifications to SDM 012

Rodstar
20-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Those who were at SPSP15 will probably have heard that one of the split blocks on my scope has developed an unintended split. It is safe to continue using the scope, but Peter Read has generously agreed to replace ALL 8 split blocks without charge, with 39 ply marine ply blocks, all colour matched to the colour of the rest of the scope. Wow!

My big news is that while Peter is doing the split blocks, he is doing two other modifications for me:

1. He is putting in thicker truss poles (1.5 inches), which will give rock steady stability with the secondary cage; and

2. He is installing a safety bar which can lock the scope, whilst set up, at a 45 degree angle so I can safely wheel the scope in and out of my garage at the start and end of observing sessions. This will be a huge improvement because it should save me a good 30 minutes every observing session in setting up/ packing away time.

Peter is coming up from Shepparton VIC to collect the scope this coming Thursday, and will drop it back with all of the mods about 2 weeks later. Amazing service, yet again. I am very impressed.

BTW, here's a shot of me with the scope at SPSP (thanks HOughy for the happy snap). As you can see, I am feeling rather affectionate towards my new girl!:D

RB
20-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Great news Rod and well done Peter !
The upgrade sounds very worthwhile, giving the scope more stability.

......but the name Rod, we need to know her name !!!!!! :shrug:

iceman
20-04-2007, 06:32 PM
What great service by Peter Read.. incredible!

spacezebra
20-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Excellent service Rod - :thumbsup: Peter.

Cheers Petra

wavelandscott
20-04-2007, 07:18 PM
The service sounds great!

The safety bar/lock is a good idea...I've had a few struggles moving my scope "set-up".

Cheers!

Rodstar
20-04-2007, 07:24 PM
I am not sure if I told you this, Scott, but I actually had an incident where the scope (fully set-up) fell out of the rocker box. Apparently this would happen much more when people move scope whilst set up, it is just that the servo-cat cables which most people have helps to hold the mirror box in position preventing this. For those of us without servo-cat (or those of us with servo-cat who don't want to damage the cabling) this is a very good invention.

I don't want to chance that sort of event happening again! :scared:

Orion
20-04-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm glad that your telescope will be fixed and the service is fantastic.

I had that same problem with the 18" every time I lifted the handles to move it until I started using the servocat. I noticed if you move the alt up high and then move the telescope it helps a bit. Although a locking device should always be used when moving an assembled telescope short distances.

wavelandscott
20-04-2007, 09:29 PM
No, I had not heard about your experience...but the "struggles" that I quietly mentioned was exactly that kind of incident...although it did not come fully out of the rocker box (I caught it)...Maybe we should all start a club like AA...We could call it WWA (Wreckless Wheelers Anonymous) or something catchier ;)

GrahamL
21-04-2007, 01:02 AM
I'd get a divorce rod if I got seen smooching another like that..:P ;)

AstroJunk
21-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Nice one Rod,

Glad to hear they bounce!

Peter has always been paranoid about the scope falling off the rocker, so he will be pleased you proved him right:rofl: . I’ve been ok with mine both before and after ServoCAT – fingers crossed!

Rodstar
21-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Jonathan, I know what you mean about Peter's concern......when he delivered the scope we discussed the issue and had a test run to manoevre it into the garage...we worked out a system that we thought was ok, backing it in to avoid the scope leaning down the slope towards the garage...Peter was obviously not too excited about the whole idea, though.

I was very lucky because the said incident occurred at a time when the lawn was due for a mow.....it softened the blow. I was just moving it into the garage, with my 8 year old holding it at a reasonable angle (about 45 degrees) as I manoevred it in, and suddenly it lurched out, snapped the encoder cables (which I then had to repair with a $50 crimping tool and some new cable and ends.....actually quite a worthwhile learning exercise). My heart my in my mouth as I checked the primary mirror, then to check whether any damage to the secondary cage or any warping in the poles. Fortunately, it passed inspection. :P

Anyway, Peter has obviously been pondering the whole thing since then, and I am very grateful that his concern would extend to making a device to address the problem. Talk about post-sales support!:thumbsup:

Rodstar
21-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I think she feels more sorry for me, than jealous!:lol: :rofl: She thinks I have lost it completely...:screwy:

h0ughy
21-04-2007, 07:11 PM
funny, my wife does think i have lost it:lol: ;) . stay that way Rod - there is always an excuse then:whistle:

Rodstar
26-04-2007, 06:47 AM
Well, Peter Read collected my scope yesterday, and I am officially scopeless for two weeks. Back to some widefield observing with the ED80. Now that will make a rather interesting contrast.:P

Peter came over with Peter Brooks (SDM 009), we had a good old natter, and Peter R even fixed my wobbly toilet seat. Perhaps SDM should be renamed DSM ("Dunny Seat Maintenance").....thanks Peter.

Oh, and I just noticed looking out of the window this morning that suddenly the skies have cleared.....how predictable is that??!!:doh:

ausastronomer
26-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Rod,

Having observed your front lawn on many occasions and making a dangerous assumption that the back and front lawns are in equal "state of mow", I can tell you that scope would only be in danger about 1 week per year :poke:

CS-John B

AstroJunk
26-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Ah, the mans tallents know no bounds :lol:

How many truss poles did he fix to the seat?

Rodstar
26-04-2007, 07:59 PM
No truss poles, but he did say he could put a 45 degree angle on the toilet seat!!:lol: :rofl: :screwy:

Rodstar
08-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Well, here is Peter's report on his work with the locking mechanism:

"Hi Rod

It’s been quite a challenge but I have succeeded in making the world first 100% secure u-beaut-safely-wheel-it-locking-system.

There are two locks – one on either side of the mirror box – they are the same plungers that are used on the ServoCAT Az motor. I’ve attached a photo.

It takes just 2 or 3 seconds to engage and you can safely wheel your scope down any hill!!!

The scope in the locked position is about 7’ 6” high and when you lift it, to wheel it, the front end drops to about 5’."

Here is a picture. Only 4 days to go to (re)delivery!

iceman
09-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Excellent news! I can't wait to get another look next weekennd.

h0ughy
09-05-2007, 08:08 AM
throw the switch egor.....throw the switch.....

looks like something out of a old horror film....

hope it does the trick Rod

Orion
09-05-2007, 08:31 PM
The leaver is the same as the one that comes with the ServoCat to engage the AZ motor. It has a shaft that goes in and out of the rocker box, it should do the job nicely.