PDA

View Full Version here: : Binoviewers

Cec
19-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I am looking at purchasing a binoviewer, any general information please, i use a large dob
thanks
cec:sadeyes:

gbeal
19-04-2007, 06:02 PM
I have the Denkmeir Standards, and the 2" OCS (so it comes to focus in the newt) and a pair of old and not too flash Celestron 20mm Erfles. Perfect, and on the lunar surface, awesome. Deep sky? Maybe, but lunar/solar, spectacular.

wavelandscott
19-04-2007, 08:28 PM
I have a Denkmeir "Big Easy" and have used it with 8 and 12.5 inch dobs and 80 mm refractor. It came with the OCS and I have not had problems coming to focus in any of the scopes...sometimes I have to "reconfigure" the components but it has always worked.

I use a pair of Denkmeir 21 mm eyepieces and some 15 mm TV plossls...both sets work a treat.

As has been noted, planets and moon are wonderful...bright objects (nebula, globs etc.) look fine too. Unfortunately, fainter fuzzies seem to get lost a little easier and at least to me don't have the same "wow".

Balance is a bit of a chore especially with the 21 mm Denks on the dobs...refractor has been no problem.

Two basic schools of thought...
#1 Go cheap and try it out...then if you like it get something nice (expensive)
#2 Get the best and enjoy for a lifetime.

After some study at lest for me I felt the "Big Easy" package was the best of the "cheaper" options. I have been pleased with them and my only complaint (and it is small) has been the need to rebalance because of the added weight...it is not hard but is a bit of a hassle when I switch from mono to bino and/or back.

Good Luck!

Cec
20-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info
I was looking at the denks
is there a store in oz that sells them that uu know of
i have a panoptic 19mil and am thinking of purchasing another
the big question is either to go real cheap oor commit to the denks
Thanks again
Cec

wavelandscott
20-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I bought mine when I was traveling in the USA but I think that Frontier Optics stocks and sells them locally...

I've never made a purchase from them but I've heard that other people have had good experiences.

janoskiss
21-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Cec, the Burgess BV24 might be worth a look also. Frontier Optics sell them (as well as Denks) afaik. The BV24 uses partially silvered beam splitters so unlike most units, it theoretically should split the light equally. It also means that in ~10 years or so the performance can be expected to drop as the silver coating decays.

Cec
05-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info
I have just ordered a Denk Big Easy package through Frontier Optics
A couple of weeks before it arrioves
I will post a review
Cec

wavelandscott
05-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Congratulations and good luck with them!

I've enjoyed mine...hope you do too.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and impressions...

What are you going to do for eyepieces?

Clear Skies.

RB
05-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Great to hear Cec.
Looking forward to your review.

Scott I didn't know you had a set, I'd love to check it out at Kulnura sometime.

wavelandscott
05-05-2007, 04:23 PM
No problem...I have a number of "hidden" bits of gear around ;) ...don't tell my wife!

A few months ago I did have them at Kulunura on our little ED80...most of the attention that night was on the big Bino-newts (which were cool)...that is where they get the most use mostly moon...

I had them at SPSP and on the 12.5 inch Dob (but I forgot to bring my stuff to counterbalance them so it was a short lived experiment)...and of course everyone wanted to look through Rod's new scope....

Cec
05-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi all
Re eyepieces
I have a panoptic 19mm and am looking at purchasing another
My scope is an obsession 18" and i am out in the Lockyer Valley,
skies are medium, I can see the Brisbane "Glow"
Cec