PDA

View Full Version here: : William Optics - 10:1 focuser adjustment?

Omaroo
15-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Hi all

I bought a ZenithStar 66 ED Petzval at SPSP and have found that while the rest of the scope is fantastic for the money, the focuser is rough in its transit. I know this is not normal as I have another W/O system just the same on my W/O SCT 10:1 focuser and it's smooth-as.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to make it smooth? I've tried adjusting the setscrew and ring, and they seem to be very critical in their adjustment. It only takes a tiny amount for the slow speed adjustment knob to not grip at all, and either way its still rough. Is there an official adjustment procedure?

Failing this, I'll just have to take it right back across to the other side of the city to York Optical and see if they can do it any more successfully.

Cheers and thanks
Chris

[1ponders]
15-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Let me know how you go. I've had nothing but dramas with my WO 10:1 refractor focuser.

Omaroo
15-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Will do Paul. Same problems as me?

[1ponders]
15-04-2007, 11:04 PM
No. Mine was a bit battered when I received it. Scratches around the adjusting ring and on the body of the focuser, the screw that tightens the 1.25" brass ring was bent at about a 15 degree angle and the screw that holds the foot of the finderscope bracket to the body was the wrong size. I have been trying since early December to get two screws. To be fair I did get the bent replacement screw I think in late Feb or early March, but the finder screw that was sent was the wrong size again. :mad2:

stellarquest
17-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Hi guys,I have both the WO 66ED and the 80ED, and have nothing but perfect performance from both. Yes the adjustment is on the critical side, but once you know this allowances are made and perfect adjustment is simple.I would be returning both scopes to place of purchase for replacement. That they should arrive in such poor condition is appalling, and worthy of serious investigation. Mine arrived in perfect mint condition, and I would settle for nothing less. This is your hard earned cash here and you have been ripped off, particularly the scratched and bent episode. Please do something about this if for no other reason than these rip off merchants are going to pull this stunt on someone else. There is no reason for a rough focuser or for a scope to arrive in bad condition, and there is no reason for either of you to suffer this. If the courier is responsible for the damage, let the supplier know, and either sue the carrier or have the supplier do it and get you a perfect scope as a replacement. This is you're right as a consumer. Seek assistance from the Fair Trading tribunal if you don't get a fair deal. Astronomy is about using the best gear you can afford or have, doing the most with that gear, and having a stress free enjoyable hobby (obsession). Please keep us all posted on your progress.

Ambermile
17-04-2007, 07:06 AM
If you take the 10:1 part off the focus shaft (small grubscrew) you will see a larger brass milled-edge nut that is usually loctited to the shaft. This adjusts/presets the pressure on the planetary gears (OK, little balls). Try tightening/loosening this nut.

Arthur

[1ponders]
17-04-2007, 07:44 AM
I have emailed the supplier back and forwards and been incontact with WO since receiving the focuser. It is so frustrating I have basically taken the attitude, that I will not buy WO or purchase equipment from the supplier again. I am still trying with WO, but I have no more time for the supplier.

The damage wasn't from the courier as the box was in perfect condition and the focuser was well packe.

Geoff45
17-04-2007, 08:39 AM
You could try speaking to Glen at Astronomy Online. They have taken over York Optical and I have always found him helpful and ready to take back stuff if you are not happy with it.
Geoff

Omaroo
17-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for your thoughts and advice guys. I'm taking this unit back to Astronomy Online today to have them look at it - and they've already stated over the phone that they would gladly take a look at either correcting the problem or replacing the unit holus-bolus for me. I can't ask more than that, and this just tells me that they are a good bunch to deal with. The rest of the unit is phenomenal, in terms of quality, and one thing I love is a beautifully produced instrument. I'll let you know how it goes. Paul - I'll ask their advice on what your next move should be too, if you like. Glen seems like a top fella, so he should be able to advise us on your dilemma.

Cheers
Chris

Omaroo
17-04-2007, 03:54 PM
OK - all fixed. Both Anthony and Glen at Astronomy Online (York) in Brookvale took a look and without any "well, it's because" 's whatsoever, swapped the whole scope over for another on which the focuser is absolutely superb. I also bought a dovetail so that I could mount it on my EQ5 as well as a William Optics red dot finder standoff so that I could use my existing one that I bought for my SCT.

I have to say that both Gary and Anthony were fantastic to deal with and I highly recommend them to any prospective buyer. Well done fellas - and thanks. I'll be back because I'm a very happy chappy.

Cheers
Chris

stellarquest
17-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Well done Chris. Congratulations on now owning a fine optical instrument the way it was meant for you to have in the first place. The WO brand is superb, offering great value for money and spawning many an imitation.Also well done to the crew at York Optical, who obviously realise and value their customers, and are so committed to backing up a usually quality product.