PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ 5 or Bartelise?

TV John
14-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Hi Again

Not sure if this is an equip or newbie question. I notice that some bods update their Dobs to bartelised and some go Eq mounts. My 8" Dob could be handled by an EQ 5 weight wise etc so I was wondering what advantages or disadvantages each setup offered.

It is not necessary for the Dob to be "portable" (until...).

Cheers

ving
14-04-2007, 09:16 AM
gday john :)

if you are gunna go for an eq mount yuo'd be better off with a heq5 than a eq5, its just that much sturdier and still light enough to lug around... well thats what i did anyhow :) set up time isnt too bad but generally its 3 trips for me: mount; weights and battery; ota... this is without linking it all up to a laptop mind you :)
still i am happy with my mount and the goto is good :)

iceman
16-04-2007, 06:28 AM
For photography, EQ5. For visual, EQ platform :)

The convenience and eyepiece position of the dob is unbeatable. On an EQ mount, newts can have their eyepieces get in weird positions and can be inconvenient.

bojan
16-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Bartelisation is also MUCH cheaper option, provided you have basic mechanical skills and (preferably) access to machine shop (or if you have a friend with one...).
Portability is not an issue with bartelisation as it does not add much additional weight, and if done properly, the telescope is still functional without computer.