PDA

View Full Version here: : Shopping spree...

Mr. Subatomic
13-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Howdy yall. :computer:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is that sets the Telrad apart from other (ofter cheaper) red dot finders and whether it is a good investment.

Also, I am interested in purchasing a barlow lens but am in the dark as to the power I should go toward. :shrug: I am not sure whether to purchase a 2X or a 3X, or even beyond. I own 9mm, 12mm, 15mm, 20mm and 26mm eyepieces and read on the Bintel website that the highest practical magnification for most telescopes is around 300X. Does this mean that I should purchase a lower power Barlow that most suitably meets this magnification wit my highest power eyepiece, or should I purchase a high power Barlow that would meet the limit with a low power eyepiece?

If anyone could help me out here I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks!:thumbsup:

taminga16
13-04-2007, 04:57 PM
The three circles in the telrad finder represent scale in space, ie; half deg, two degs, four degs which make starhopping just that much easier. The telrad is the second best accessory I have. Greg
P.S. Equal to an adjustable height observers chair, being comfortable is like having an extra inch of aperture. Greg.

GeoffW1
13-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi Sub,

I really fancy my Telrad. I use it like this:

- check the star chart for location in the surrounding sky
- using the Telrad move the scope (it is a Dob) to the right area
- using the Telrad circles check what I expect to see in the finderscope
- refine it using the RA finder (no pains in the neck)
- and then usually all I need to do is decide what EP to swap to

This is quite a quick process even for the light-polluted sky in my backyard.

Cheers

Geoff

GeoffW1
13-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure you even need a Barlow with that spread. I will be interested to see other opinions here.

Why not stretch a bit more and get a reasonable 4mm or 5mm EP, say an Orion Stratus, Meade 5000 plossl, or Vixen LV.

I don't really know which is best yet myself, I'm just trying to stir up a bit of debate :rolleyes:

Cheers[/LEFT]

jjjnettie
13-04-2007, 11:21 PM
A 2x barlow is always handy to have.
I use mine all the time with my 12.5 and 10mm ep's. It is much more comfy to look through than the 6mm ep.

JethroB76
14-04-2007, 12:58 AM
I can tell you the Telrad craps from a great height on the red dot finder that comes with the Lightbridges, you would think not a cheap and nasty RDF but they perform like one. Mounted on thin wiggly PLASTIC stem, horrible reticles (?) -all four of them: double images etc, alignment adjusted via allen key - bleeerrgghh!
Telrad or RACI all the way.

Mr. Subatomic
14-04-2007, 09:01 AM
This is great, thanks for your feedback guys.

After reading nettie's comment I guess it would be less straining on the eyes to use a barlow with an EP of about 10mm or above as opposed to a really small eyepiece. I just feel that I can get more size and detail from objects like Jupiter and Saturn, but am limited without a Barlow.

And by the way I applaud Geoff for trying to start a rambunctious astronomical debate! :D