PDA

View Full Version here: : Reverse polarity protection on Meade LX200

Shawn
12-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Does anybody know if there is an internal fuse and Diode...

And NO, I havnt...but if the possibility is there, I would like to address it..

Shawn

taminga16
13-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Shawn, do what Murphy did, use connectors that can not be confused,

Astroman
13-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Or make a protection circuit yourself, that way you wont need to find out the hard way :) I almost fried my EQ6 doing this, I was lucky that the Power Supply I used has protection on.

ving
14-04-2007, 08:25 AM
i had a starfinder mount, that didnt have protection... basically if you reverse the poles its off to meade for an expensive fix unless you know how to fix the burned out bit yourself :(

Dennis
14-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Hi Shawn

I have several pieces of equipment (mounts, cameras, accessories, etc) that are variously centre +ve or centre –ve that have a 2.1mm plug/socket. Using a Brother Labeler machine (Office Works), I printed two sticky label strips for each device. I stuck one label on the body of the mains adapter and one label on the cable near the plug, describing the polarity and the piece of equipment it was purchased with.

So, far, this has worked. The labels are the 9mm wide white strips with black ink so they are easy to read under a dim red light.

Cheers

Dennis

Shawn
15-04-2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks guys, I assume from ths the answer is No, It hasnt, I think Ill knock something up , and add labels, big lables , and none matching plugs,,,I want it idiot proof, and since, well, say no more....:)

AndrewJ
16-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Gday Shawn

Correct
No reverse polarity protection and no fuses
Ref
http://www.telescopeservice.com/lx200gps.htm
for a set of schematics for the LX200GPS/R
For some people, the series SMT inductors turn to charcoal
in a valiant attempt to protect the downstream electronics
but its not always so.

Andrew