PDA

View Full Version here: : Light Polution

bluescope
04-04-2007, 03:14 PM
:help:

I live within a couple of kms of the centre of Perth and the skyglow is to say the least a pain. I used to live, until fairly recently, in a considerably darker sky region 35kms south of CBD ( I miss it a lot ). Anyway due to relocation I am now thinking about filters to compensate for the polution.

I see Bintel have Orion Ultrablock filters that they claim do the job very well at a fairly reasonable price also Lumicon and Baader have filters ( generally higher prices ).

Your thoughts ............ thanks !

leon
04-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi Steve, i don't do visual stuff, and would not be certain if the filters i use for imaging would be the same for visual, however you cant go past Hutech IDAS Light Pollution Suppression Filters, they range in size from 28.6mm, right up to 86mm for camera lenses.

They are not cheap, but worth every cent, I reckon

Cheers Leon

wavelandscott
04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
There is no substitute for dark skies!

While you can see some improvements on some objects from light pollution filters please be careful in your expectations...they are not "magic"...

I've got a CLS (light polution) filter for sale if you are interested;) ...

I've decided to just use a good Narrow Pass Band filter instead...

bluescope
04-04-2007, 05:53 PM
I would idealy be living in the bush with no lights whatsoever but that's not my present reality. I already have a 1.25" Baader UHC-s nebular filter which does actually show considerably more nebulosity and darkens surrounding skies but is no good for clusters and galaxies. I want a 2" filter to attach to my MPCC for photography mainly, I've accepted that my visual side of things has taken a turn for the worse.

Thanks for your input !

p.s. Is your CLS a 2" and how much would you want for it if I were interested?

wavelandscott
04-04-2007, 06:29 PM
It is a 1.25 inch Astronomic CLS filter...Asking AUD$95 plus shipping Australia/New Zealand (or something like that).

I think for Astro activities we would all like to live in the bush...

If you've got a UHC already I don't think you'll see much benefit to the CLS...it will be similar but not as agressive (I am assuming that the Baader UHC is similar in passband to the Astronomic UHC) in blocking light...

Cheers!

CoombellKid
04-04-2007, 06:29 PM
UHC filter are for emission lines of nebula, they're designed to cut down star
light. So not real good for Clusters and galaxies, the latter also being mainly
star light.

regards,CS

bluescope
05-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I really need a 2" for the MPCC as it mounts directly into the 2" focuser of my Newt ! I can't remember the specs on the baader but assume they are all pretty similar.

Cheers

bluescope
05-04-2007, 01:18 PM
;) I think maybe a seat inside Hubble would be the go !

bkm2304
08-04-2007, 07:29 PM
I wonder of anyone can advise me if there is such a thing as a filter to enhance comet viewing?

bluescope
08-04-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't know of any specific comet filters. I would assume any filter which would improve contrast and reduce skyglow etc would be useful. Perhaps you should start a new thread and ask everybody.

bkm2304
08-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. As soon as I figure out how to actually start a thread I'll ask!

Starkler
09-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Yes there is. Its called a SWAN band filter.
I havent used one myself or know any details about them.

bkm2304
09-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks, Starkler, I'm onto it!