PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion Stratus 8mm eyepiece

erick
03-04-2007, 12:18 PM
So I've used my 1200mm focal length (f6.0) a couple of times and I'd better start thinking about improvements (that involve real $s). I think the place to start is with replacing the 1.25" 9mm Plossl that came with the Bintel scope. I used it with and without the Bintel-branded 2" 2x Barlow on various targets and thought - well, better than nothing but Hmmm - a wider view would help and any increase in brightness and contrast would be great. (I have entry-level 40mm, 26mm and 15mm eyepieces which will do me nicely for the moment.) BTW, the scope was well collimated (as well as I could achieve).

Everything I have read suggests that the Orion Stratus 8mm eyepiece might be an economical step (Bintel $199) in the right direction. It should be a quantum leap in my high magnification viewing pleasure. Has everyone's experience with this eyepiece continued to be good?

Thanks in advance
Eric :)

mick pinner
03-04-2007, 12:25 PM
l have the 8mm Eric and it is a very good ep.
l have used it in my f/10 SCT, ED 100 and 12" Dob and it performs well in all 3, having said that l am not as critical as some and others may not agree but each to his own.
If you are interested in picking it up you are welcome to borrow it and see for yourself.

erick
03-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Mick, that's very kind of you and I will probably up your offer to lend. Some night when I am heading for my partly dark sky location at Gembrook, I can swing by Monbulk. It'll be some weeks yet, however, before I can find an evening. :)

janoskiss
03-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Yes, the 8mm Stratus is good but Pentax XF 8.5mm for around the same money is better - premium performer all the way. Eric, you are welcome to try out mine in your scope.

erick
03-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Well, Steve, I'll look forward to taking you up on that kind offer - thanks. :)

Fascinating - two eyepieces of similar FL and APOV - yet so different in sizes/weights?

Gargoyle_Steve
03-04-2007, 04:09 PM
I have the 8mm Stratus and am quite fond of it, I use it in my f5 12" dob and the fast light cone doesn't seem to give it any real problems.

I have also stuck the 8mm in the back of my Meade ETX-70 - it kind of looks rather ludicrously large sticking out at right angles like that but it gave me the best views my ETX (also an f5 scope) has ever given me.

PeteMo
03-04-2007, 04:26 PM
You could even add the Baader Hyperion 8mm into the equation which has near identical optical performance to the Stratus but costs the same as the Pentax XF 8.5. I love my Hyperion, but it is heavy so I was forever adjusting the counter-balance on my dob. It is also modular, in that you can unscrew the barlow element and insert 14mm and or 28mm extensions, giving 4 different focal lengths from the same eyepiece. There is also an M43 thread underneath the eye cup, for photographers.

The Orion will be a similar weight around 13-15oz (sorry thats about 380 - 430g) compared with 3-5oz of typical plossls, so be prepared to be altering your counter balance. The Pentax will be closer to the weight of your plossls, so won't have 'nodding dog' syndrome as I call it.

If you need 68 degrees and don't need the bells and whistles of the Hyperion go with the Stratus otherwise go with Steve's recommendation of the Pentax XF which is incredible optical performance for the money.

erick
03-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone! This is all useful information.

(except for the fact that I'm going to have to plead with my wife to allow me to spend another $200 at some stage - perhaps she should get used to it?? :D)

tailwag
03-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Eric, make dinner for her, a glass of wine and then ask her, it's foolproof, it works every time :whistle:

erick
03-04-2007, 04:45 PM
If I cook the dinner, I'll probably have a claim on her life insurance - cooking and Eric - doesn't fit well!

JethroB76
03-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Well you'll have more than $200 to spend then..woohoo :lol:

OneOfOne
04-04-2007, 07:44 AM
I use my Stratus at public viewings and it performs very well. I didn't want people getting there grubby eyes and fingers on my Pentax so I got this one. The large piece of glass and wide field makes it easy even for the most inexperienced person to see something. I found with my Plossls that at this focal length, the piece of glass was very hard for people to find in the dark. I think you will be impressed with the ease of use for either the Stratus, Hyperion or XF and won't look back!