PDA

View Full Version here: : My new rig arrived yesterday.

Marko of Oz
27-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Finally. Bintel 10" dob with a Skywatcher EQ6 mount to sit it on. I gotta tell ya, I almost, Almost bit off more than I can chew with this EQ6 mount, what a behemoth.:eyepop:

Took maybe 2 hours to whack it together allowing for phone calls, visitors, cats and no instruction book for the mount.:doh: The two 5.4Kg weights aren't enough to balance the OTA so it was a quick trip to BigW and bought a 5Kg dumbell weight for $14:D which locks down ok between the other two and gives good balance. There's a bit of slop in the hole but I think I can sleeve it with something eventually.

Snuck, lugged, dragged, stumbled outside with it last night in 3 loads for a quick look about before the clouds started coming in and the wind picked up. The Moon seemed nice and crisp in the 32mm, the Orion Nebula look sweet, if a bit washed out by the Moon.

But wait, oh, stars aren't focusing to well. Swing around to Saturn. Ohh somethings wrong here. Collimation must be off, which is understandable I guess after travelling 1600Km from Sydney to Rockhampton by road freight. Put the laser collimator in and sure enough, the secondary is off center by at good inch. I'll fix that today:whistle: .

All in all I'm very happy with the rig. Cheers to the boys(& girls?) at Bintel. Do any of them read this forum?

Now if only the Moon will go away again :rolleyes:

cheers...

iceman
27-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Congrats Mark! The 10" on EQ6 is a great combo!

Make sure you learn collimation - it's a must have skill for newtonian owners. The better the collimation, the better the view.

Yes, they do. Several of them are members though mostly in their capacity as amateur astronomers.

ving
27-03-2007, 03:41 PM
sound like another happy customer :)

congrats on a setup that will keep kyou happy for ages! :D

i thought bintel colimated their scopes before shipping tho...

Marko of Oz
27-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Let me amend that, it wasn't out an inch, more like half an inch. They probably did collimate before shipping, but it is a long bumpy ride from Sydney. Changing hands/trucks more than once along the way I'd have to say.

jjjnettie
27-03-2007, 04:34 PM
What a setup!
Hope it's everything you want it to be.