PDA

View Full Version here: : I got a scope!

MortonH
24-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Having spent the last few months agonising over what scope to get, I took the sensible option today and bought a second-hand 8" Bintel dob. With the bank balance virtually undented, I can now relax back into the hobby while continuing to window shop, but without the same level of frustration!

Speaking of frustration, the arrival of said scope was greeted with thunder and an ongoing downpour, which might last 5 days if the forecast is right. I guess Jupiter will have to wait... :shrug:

Since I'm now feeling a bit more philosophical, I shall take all this bad weather in my stride and, instead of observing tonight, I think I'll watch The Day After Tomorrow on DVD.

Morton

snowyskiesau
24-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Who needs a DVD when you can watch the election results on your ABC:)

Congrats on the new scope.

DobDobDob
24-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey Morton, let me know if the ending changes from the last time I watched it, I was quietly rooting for the total destruction of the Earth :P

Oh yes, and please purchase new equipment early in the week, so that the rain and cloud you cause has run it's course before the weekend :whistle:

davidpretorius
24-03-2007, 09:01 PM
congrats morton, not stopping you now...bank balance will be dented before you know it with this hobby!

MortonH
24-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I know. Still eyeing up a premium refractor....

Morton

RB
25-03-2007, 02:25 AM
Great choice Morton, hope you enjoy it.

:thumbsup:

Rodstar
25-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Well chosen Morton. That is an excellent entry level choice of scopes. How are you off for eyepieces....(speaking of denting the bank balance)....

Astroman
25-03-2007, 08:00 AM
No matter what you buy the cost of accessories always ends up costing you heaps more. and it NEVER STOPS!

Miaplacidus
25-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Congratulations, Morton.

Just FYI, I also have a Megrez 80 on a Panoramic mount with Argo Navis, as well as an 8 inch dob, and I am now biding my time before buying the 16 inch.

See you at BINTEL!

Cheers,

Brian.

Starkler
25-03-2007, 08:47 AM
The bad weather gives you time to practice collimating it.
Congrats on your new scope ;)

MortonH
25-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks, everyone.

Fortunately, I am ok for eyepieces, as I've kept the best ones I've had over the years. Maybe just need a good wide-field one.

The likely 'problem' is that I'd like to do some imaging, if only piggyback, so a mount of some kind may be on the agenda at some point. For now, I just need to learn my way around the southern sky. Everything is either unfamiliar or upside down!

Morton

wavelandscott
25-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Enjoy your new scope!

Just think, a few short years ago your 8 inch would have been a pretty big scope for a "hobby scope"...

If you don't have one yet a good low power widefield eyepiece would be a great addition...

Hope you get lots of use from it!