PDA

View Full Version here: : $600 for a $2 clock - trying to get date/time automatically into a CG5 lament

g__day
18-03-2007, 10:11 AM
This is a kind of stunning oversight IMHO. Many Goto scopes have a park or hibernate function, but unless you wish to fork out much $$$ for GPS you simply can't easily enter date and time into a scope that's permanently mounted at a fixed location.

Now even with a Vitrual GPS device (yes GPS simulators or emulators exist, any you can use a PC's BIOS system time or a windows world time function). But from the free to the $500 simulator add a PC serial port out coupler (say $80), cabling ($10) then of course Celestron didn't provide a GPS input port, you have to add an aux port (more couplers for $195!!!), so its $300 just to connect a real or virtual GPS date/time (and/or location) signal to you device.

Let me say that again - its $300 just to get the hardware cabling to send set-up data to your scope. You can easily add at least another $300 - $600 for a real GPS unit.

Now Celestron sell a proprietary unit with AUX port for about $600, but just think about it, every motherboard sold in the world today has a crystal clock generator and the simple BIOS functions to track date and time.

For Celestron to have provided a stored date/time function on the controller would have cost less than $2. For Celestron to expose functionality for some Windows PC to enter this data into a connected hand controller (rather than manually push buttons) would have cost nothing!

You can put the scope into hibernation - and then not turn the power off and so a day or five later press the UNDO button - and hope it all works - but it's a real gross workaround - better hope no one bumps your gear or turns it back on or your mount will certainly have a major collision with its pier. Or their maybe there's a hidden internal setting that stuffs up this risky method.

This is my rant asking why isn't there a simply way to automatically get date and time into a mount? Does any scope allow this, or is it only Celestron that has this glaring oversight?

PS

Has anyone found a fully automated way to get date / time electronically from a PC into Celestrons hand controller without a GPS? Nexstar can give (actually sell you an expensive and practically useless) PC based version of your handcontroller on your screen, but you still have to manually press alot of buttons rather than execute a few simple calls to system time and system date and/or execute a read of a stored location to set itself up. What a whoopsie!

/end_rant!

jase
18-03-2007, 10:37 AM
I had similar problems a while back. I did come across a custom script. Will see if I can dig it up. Many software packages may now support this feature.

In short it is possible as the Nexstar protocol support setting the date, time and location information for the serial interface.

Refer to the following link for more info: http://www.celestron.com/c2/images/files/downloads/1154108406_nexstarcommprot.pdf

=======
Time/Location Commands (Hand Control)
The following commands set the time and location in the hand control.
The format of the location commands is: ABCDEFGH, where:
A is the number of degrees of latitude.
B is the number of minutes of latitude.
C is the number of seconds of latitude.
D is 0 for north and 1 for south.
E is the number of degrees of longitude.
F is the number of minutes of longitude.
G is the number of seconds of longitude.
H is 0 for east and 1 for west.
For example, to set the location to 118°20’17” W, 33°50’41” N, you would send (note that latitude is before longitude):
“W” & chr(33) & chr(50) & chr(41) & chr(0) & chr(118) & chr(20) & chr(17) & chr(1)
The format of the time commands is: QRSTUVWX, where:
Q is the hour (24 hour clock).
R is the minutes.
S is the seconds.
T is the month.
U is the day.
V is the year (century assumed as 20).
W is the offset from GMT for the time zone. Note: if zone is negative, use 256-zone.
X is 1 to enable Daylight Savings and 0 for Standard Time.
For example, to set the time to 3:26:00PM on April 6, 2005 in the Eastern time zone (-5 UTC: 256-5 = 251) you would send:
“H” & chr(15) & chr(26) & chr(0) & chr(4) & chr(6) & chr(5) & chr(251) & chr(1)
Note: All values are sent in binary format, not ASCII.
Note: The Get commands do not retrieve the time and location from the GPS unit (if one is present). The time and location are retrieved from the hand control. You must first enter the View Time/Site menu to update the hand control time if you want the time from the GPS or, use the GPS Commands in the next section.

g__day
18-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Huge thanks! Will look into this.

So can I presume you can send these commands at any time (like at scope power-on) and they will be accepted?

Location is static, so its easy, but how are you getting time into a binary format to write it to the handcontroller via the serial port?

If you can find that script I'd greatly appreciate it!

jase
18-03-2007, 12:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the utility to use is NexConfig

http://www.stdenissoftware.com/

I'm not sure if it still downloadable.

Have you tried NexTest 1.2 ? - http://www.paquettefamily.ca/nexstar/bin/NexTest1_2.exe

Perhaps ping Ray an email. I'm certain this was the software I used sometime ago to achieve the task. Its been three years since I got the Losmandy Titan so can't find the code anymore.

jase
18-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Alternatively... Use ASCOM (which I think is the best thing since sliced bread... well close anyway).

http://ascom-standards.org/

Looking at the updated Celestron driver info (4.2.15):
"Updated Celestron driver: Support for DBCS operating systems and additional scopes including the CPC and SLT. Sync now uses the new embedded code for HC version 4.10 and more (this hasn't been released yet, although some have escaped). Fixes to bugs in SetUTCTime and the site position. This is an executable installer. Download and double-click to update the driver."

http://ascom-standards.org/downloads.html#plat

I think ASCOM would be your better option. I use it to remotely control Gemini power-ons, i.e warm starts etc and interface it with TheSky, MaximDL and FocusMax through POTH (Plain Old Telescope Hub). Works a treat. I believe 4.1.5 is the latest release of ASCOM.