PDA

View Full Version here: : Our New Portable Observatory

Tamtarn
17-03-2007, 09:04 PM
We came across what we think is a great idea for an observatory for winter.

:: It's a very solid construction. 38mm powder coated steel tubing frame with click together design

:: Cover is very strong heavy duty polyester weave

:: 3 mt wide 2 mt deep

:: Wind resistant waterproof and very sturdy because of the ground level frame

The front veranda can be rolled back to the first bar for a higher elevation when using with the roof on

The roof can be removed completely to observe at zenith

Rear entry with centre zip or rear cover can be removed

The front window can be zipped to enclose the whole unit for cozy observing when viewing with the roof off

Once erected and you want to change your viewing the whole unit can be lifted and turned to face the front in any direction ( We may add wheels to ours for easier rotation )

3X2 mt gives us plenty of room inside for ourselves the two scopes tables gear and two chairs. If your into imaging there's plenty of room for laptop gear etc.

Lots of options with this great unit very strong and sturdy. We think it would be great for astro camps also .

___________________________________ _______

With the temperature sometimes getting close to zero here :cold::cold:we definately needed something.

We now have a portable observatory for the colder months at a very affordable price :whistle:

We've packed it away now until needed.

We can't wait for those clear dark winter skies :D:D

DobDobDob
17-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Looks a beauty, and I bet it keeps the chill off your backs, good on you :thumbsup:

erick
17-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Supplier, please Tamtarn?

How affordable a price? Many thanks. :)

Dennis
17-03-2007, 10:14 PM
I second Eric's 2 questions....

Cheers

Dennis

Tamtarn
17-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi guys

We purchased it on ebay from Canopy Outdoor it's actually called a Sales Hut.

The price was $207 which we think is a bargain considering the price of some awnings and flimsy tents.

The company is in Bayswater an eastern suburb of Melbourne. Locals can pick up from there. Interstate shipping costs are listed on their ebay page.

Link
http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Sales+Hut

Some more Pics

24718 24719

Base can be pegged to the ground but probably not needed as the whole unit is quite heavy.

toetoe
17-03-2007, 11:28 PM
But what about the dogs Barb ;)
That is a fantastic setup and a great price as well. If the weather does turn bad when you guys are using it, you can always set up your astro stall.:whistle:

iceman
18-03-2007, 06:57 AM
That's excellent! Great idea and affordable!

erick
18-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Many thanks - Bayswater is local for me! Looks perfect for comfy binocular viewing.

Tamtarn
18-03-2007, 10:52 AM
By the way Eric it does take longer to erect the first time than the 15 mins stated on the website.

Also the height at the front is 2.4mt we needed a step stool to reach to connect the straps on the bars. Unless of course you're 6'4 you won't need one :whistle:

Enjoy your comfy winter bino viewing :thumbsup:

erick
18-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Many thanks.

I'm wondering if I could spray the material black, on the outside, in case I go to my more public sites - don't want to stand out for miles!

rmcpb
18-03-2007, 11:26 AM
What a great idea :)

Will have to think about one of those for a long nights observing.

Tamtarn
18-03-2007, 11:51 AM
We agree Eric we would have preferred a darker colour.

Not sure about spraying it. If you want to phone the distributor you can ask them. Ph 03 9729 4817.

If you want to order do it by ebay because if you inquire about price by phone it's $247... ebay Buy It Now Price ... $207

crystal_stars
20-03-2007, 10:40 AM
This looks great, and the price is good too, considering what things seem to cost nowadays.

I couldn't find it in ebay today, but a quick search of the internetv found the company's online shop. Unfortunately it doesn't have the ebay price (it's listed at $249) however it comes with a bench included that can be set up if you want to (could be a handy spot for star atlases, accessories, laptop).

http://canopy.clearbridge.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=19

Hmmm. Might have to get myself one of these.

jjjnettie
20-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Great find. Very reasonable price too. Thanks for posting.

Tamtarn
20-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi C

Ours was supplied with the bench but because of our scopes having to be placed at the front window for viewing with the roof on we forgot to mention the bench.

Yes the bench would be very handy for anyone using the unit without the roof and very handy for Laptops etc.

When we posted our thread on the 17th it was still on ebay for $207 maybe now they've had a few inquiries and are only selling it from their own website.

Still seems a good buy at $249 though.

The bench 3 mt wide in two sections

erick
20-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I cannot afford it yet - have my eye on another astronomy expenditure!

Perhaps I can convince them they can sell to the astronomy market and therefore convince them to bring out a version with a dark coloured cover when I'm financial again.