PDA

View Full Version here: : Is bintels new low profile focuser "LOW enough"?

davewaldo
17-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Bintel's new low profile focuser is low enough to bring a Canon DSLR into focus on a GSO 10" Dob?

https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7448

Or shall I just measure how much more I need then ring bintel for some acurate measurments?

I was hoping someone might have some first hand experience with this new focuser.

Any info about it would be great!

Cheers

Dave.

iceman
18-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Hi Dave.
No, I doubt it very much,

Scorpius has done some work getting a 350D to focus in a dob without having to move the mirror, but he had to do some mods to his focuser.

Do a search for threads started by him and you'll find them.

Starkler
18-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Everything you need to know about the focuser is here (http://www.telescope-service.com/ATM/focusers.html#TSFOCNCs)

Eternal
18-03-2007, 10:19 AM
It was low enough for my 8" Skywatcher Newtonian that I could focus for 400D. I do however find that it tends to move upwards whenever you apply the focussing lock.

davewaldo
19-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks Everyone,

I'm thinking it might just be enough... Going by the website Starkler supplied (thanks mate :)) it should give me 21mm of extra in focus.

Next time I have a bright moon I will check how much focus I will need more accurately. But last time I had the camera attatched it felt like I only needed about another 10mm or so.

It would be a very easy solution if it works!

Dave.

Satchmo
19-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Dave

You'd be best checking with Bintel on the focus travel. The link on the Starklers link to TS Website says their focus travel is 38mm: quote `more than other similar looking Crayfords'. Bintel list theirs as 22mm travel, which I don't think is really enough for visual use as well. Maybe Bintel is just a mis-print.

If the travel is indeed 38mm, this could be a very nice ( albeit weighty ) choice for the ATMer.

davewaldo
19-03-2007, 07:10 PM
mmmm I will have to check that... I hope it has the 38mm of travel. I do have a 35mm extender I could use if any EP's needed more out focus. But shifting that around all the time could be annoying!

My plan is to use my scope mainly for observing but occasionally for a bit of photography of the moon or bright objects.

Apocrisiary
23-03-2007, 09:53 PM
The 22mm listed on our website is straight from the info at GSO. I haven't physically measured the travel but will do so tomorrow . If it is different from the 22mm listed the details will be updated.
We have had several people fit them to the GSO dobs and it allows focus with the 350/400D. Most of the GSO scopes come to focus with the eyepiece racked a fair way out...the 50mm low profile should allow access to the focal plane with most camera setups. As Davewaldo suggested the 35mm extension may be needed for visual use.
The other option is cutting the bottom off the tube but changing the distance between the primary and secondary mirrors means smaller fully illuminated field.
Michael
BINTEL

Apocrisiary
24-03-2007, 11:51 AM
The travel is 37mm.

davewaldo
26-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Wow! Thanks Michael for the great service and info!