PDA

View Full Version here: : Mount choice?

xelasnave
25-04-2005, 11:17 AM
I have a couple of scopes I would like to find a better mount for... thinking about my photo results I am not worried about the optics, I think 6 inch will keep me going for a long time , however the mounts currently I suspect are letting me down (lxd 55 and the mount with the Celestron 150 ar. The new mount would ideally carry the main scope 6 inch current and a 80 mm or 70 mm refractor tracking scope..and if possible a large viewer scope say a 80mm or 70mm .. I have no comparisions and would welcome some views... eventualey this mount should be able to carry a Celestron 11 inch.. dont need goto just guide camera tracking.. what to aim for??? also I suppose its out of the question but has anuone mounted a Bintel 12 inch dob eqatorially or the like to take photos??
alex

atalas
25-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi Alexander,the cheapest heavy duty mount you can get here is the EQ6 . When it comes to imaging it's better to be over mounted than under mounted !

Louie:)

mch62
25-04-2005, 12:42 PM
ditto for the EQ6 .
It will handle an 11"SCT but as far as a 12"Newtonian --iffy.
The weight of the scope is not a problem it's the over all length of the thing that derates the mount.
If the scope is to long the torque and back lash on the gears and worm become excessive.
I temporarily mounted my 16kg 12.5"f6 newt on my EQ6 to test the scope, and while it tracked and slewed it was to much for the mount.
i would say you need to keep the length under1500 or 1600mmand if you can keep weight out of the focuser end of the tube.
A 12"f4.5 would work if you use a thin or conical mirror and light weight carbon or truss tube.
As far as imaging you want to be over mounted as much as possible .
You don't want a wobble scope , just don't work to well on a CCD chip.
Auto guiding can be done and is the best way but usually comes as part of a Go-To or after market system any way.

This is my old set up a 6"synta scope the same as the Celestron150 a 70mm guide scope and not shown a 400mm telephoto lens plus the Digital camera and web cam .
Handled all that with out problems but boy was it a load to move around.

Mark